Recent content by Richdw

1. R

Has anyone compared different acoustically transparent fabrics?

I'm re-finishing a great-sounding, tired-looking pair of BNS Soundcolumn 3 isobaric floorstanders and I can't find tubular material to slide over the whole thing, as per the original "sock" grill. The only fabrics I can find are too heavy or the wrong size. Several speakers have this type of...
  2. R

Speaker Plans (or kits available in UK/EU?)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry for the slow replies, we just had covid for Christmas... Those are all great links, and there's definitely some great looking speaker kits out there. Does anyone in the UK/EU have suggestions for which kits might offer the best price vs performance...
  3. R

Speaker Plans (or kits available in UK/EU?)

Hi All, I keep seeing review or mention of good quality speakers, but the trend on ASR is towards speakers made or marketed in the USA. Whilst this is completely understandable, given @amirm 's location, it does leave us here in the UK and EU less informed about potential self-build speaker...
  4. R

Affordable complete setup for clean reggae/dub at high volume?

Hi All, Basic description: Wanted - complete setup recommendations. Inputs - TV, laptop 3.5mm, BT, CCA Room - 8x5m Music - LOUD reggae, dub, funk, soul etc. Total budget - £500 Longer description: A friend is asking me for recommendations for a new hifi. He is a huge fan of reggae, dub...
  5. R

Parametric Array speaker review?

Thanks for the reply @peaknik Yes I agree it's an awkward concept to see working in a day-to-day setup! Do you think that the low diffraction, typically seen as a problem in the context of evenly distributing music in a lounge etc, could be utilised advantageously in certain pro or audiophile...
  6. R

Parametric Array speaker review?

Hi All, Parametric array speakers produce highly directional/localised audible sound via the intermodulation of two ultrasonic waves. This concept appears in a few niche or novelty applications, including research I'm involved with, but I don't see much mention of it in terms of general music...
  7. R

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

Ah that's a shame, but thanks very much for testing, much appreciated!
  8. R

That's what it looks like for sure. I only ask because other devices I have, such as a projector, are able to power the CC device going in to it's HDMI input, through one of the inbuilt usb ports, which seem to be inputs themselves. Is anyone with an A30 able to test this?
  9. R

Quick question: If I want to use an A30 with a CCA (Chromecast audio), can I power the CCA from the USB port on the A30, then use a short toslink cable to take digital output from the CCA to the A30? Longer explanation: I'm asking because using the USB port like this would limit the number of...
  10. R

Elections and voting (in general) ...

In our recent referendum here in the UK a colleague made a point that really struck me as getting to the core of many questions about democracy: "Would you ask a group of patients to vote on what the surgeon should do next?" It raises the point, raised by the OP, of whether democracy is...
  11. R

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

This looks to be a great device, and follows on nicely from the similar Evo Sabre reviewed last week. They're similar money, although I've not seen UK/EU pricing yet. The Evo Sabre has more input options, potentially making it more functional as a system hub (e.g. if you want to plug in an aux...
  12. R

How to send video to projector, audio to hifi, wirelessly with zero or matching latency?

I have explored this option, and it may be where I go next, but a lot of the HDMI transmitters available are prohibitively expensive, especially if I need 2 of them. Further more, casting is, on the face of it, very energy efficient, compared to wirelessly transmitting via HDMI and/or bluetooth...
  13. R

How to send video to projector, audio to hifi, wirelessly with zero or matching latency?

Just to update, and possibly get further information.... I've purchased one Chromecast Audio (CCA) and one Chromecast 3 (CC3). I've connected the CCA to my hifi and the CC3 to the projector. Individually, they are great. I can cast various audio outputs to both devices, and do so...
  14. R

Audiophonics EVO-SABRE Balanced RPI DAC Review

Would there be any reason not to use the Evo Sabre directly in to a power amp? If so, what are the specific attributes of the power amp that may make it a better or worse match for the Evo Sabre? I'm considering purchasing the Evo Sabre, and either a Behringer A800 or NCore (Audiophonics)...
  15. R

Audiophonics EVO-SABRE Balanced RPI DAC Review

Just out of curiosity, where or how was this determined? Any links would be appreciated. Many thanks, Richard
Top Bottom