Recent content by RichB

1. RichB

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

After cleaning the Coolerguys fans (that blow out), the output is much greater and the 3700H is significantly cooler in the cabinet. I am staying with this approach because the never removed or cleaner Onkyo had some dust on the back but no in the center front. The fan-dust could not be blown...
  2. RichB

Dirac Live Bass Management?

Is there a trial period or limited guarantee? - Rich
  3. RichB

Low distortion in AVR vs sound quality

Forums will be forums. I like AH but there is very little new data there. ASR on the other hand is expanding the knowledge base. - Rich
  4. RichB

By all means, but no one was wearing goggles ;) - Rich
  5. RichB

On ASR, I think the pure subjectivist is not encouraged. I subscribe to the notion that, generally, better measuring products sound better. The argument then becomes at what level does distortion become audible. This has been discussed many times. We know that 0 SPL is the absolute level of...
  6. RichB

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

That is fine, but to be clear, the review exposed a real problem that is not a common use case. I agree that for most (those using 5 or more channels) will not have an issue. For this reason, I bought a 3700H for use as a preamp. Prior to the isolation of the issue, I would not have purchased...
  7. RichB

Yeah, that term is a bit long in the tooth. We live in an age where actual intelligence is rarely applied ;) I have seen people wearing masks that is sparsely populated on the top a mountain with steady 20 MPH wind. - Rich
  8. RichB

Revel M20's and C20. https://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-performa-m20-loudspeaker-measurements The 3700 in preamp mode is connected to a Sunfire Cinema Grand amplifier. Years ago, I had a Cinema Grand Signature (400 WPC) driving the Salon1s and it sounded good but my friend brought...
  9. RichB

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

What are the measurement instructions? - Rich
  10. RichB

My seating position is 11 feet in a 15 x 30 x 10 foot room. I found that in stereo mode room gain made up for the distance loss, so 1 watt provided 86 dB. I did these measurements to explain why I never clip the Benchmark AHB2s (180 Watts @ 4 Ohms). Not that folks can and will use more power but...
  11. RichB

At this installation, there is no AC here and it has been hot (upper 80's indoors). Preamp mode gets hot in my cabinet that has limited airflow due to the fixed shelf height and glass doors. The unit is hottest on the center-left top. I have moved the fan blowing out (for now) to limit dust and...
  12. RichB

1) Some already allowing limiting correction: Audyssey (via app), Dirac, Anthem ARC. 2) Speaker correction can be done if the speaker has consistent on and off axis. This is a common problem that cannot be fixed with REQ. If corrected on axis, it makes off-axis worse and the listening window...
  13. RichB

After reading one of his interviews, it is clear that he is both clever and colorful. I have to say the description of class-D wanting to anything but amplify including catch fire, I am a bit put off on the technology, especially in a must work vacation home. - Rich
  14. RichB

The test by @amirm with Purifi was a bit surprising. I did buy the Benchmark RCA to XLR cables that are start-quad with some special grounding to use with the Oppo UDP-205 in the event that my processor needs to ship out for an upgrade or repair. The system must keep running. Here is the...
  15. RichB

I think @amirm mentioned a project to make a simulated speaker similar to Stereophile. That could be useful if applied consistently. But there is a controversy if made too demanding. Is phase +/- 45 degrees and 3.5 Ohms a good number? Maybe, but that might cause problems with some amps but a...
Top Bottom