Recent content by Rene

1. R

Article: Understanding Digital Audio Measurements

Removing the isolation (or blocking) cap from the input of the ADCOM 535 and connecting it to a DC coupled output from a DAC will disable the ADCOM servo. Output impedance from most any solid state DAC will be very low - on the order of 100's of ohms or less. So no problem designing a passive...
  2. R

Article: Understanding Digital Audio Measurements

Not at all true. Many dacs have no DC blocking.
  3. R

Battle of S/PDIF vs USB: which is better?

Agreed. Most ESS dac chips also reclock the SPDIF signal internally to reduce jitter.
  4. R

Yes, but this is a discussion of USB for audio.
  5. R

All the arguments here are tedious. SPDIF is a flawed interface, always allowing for the generation of clock jitter (especially via Toslink).. However, in its defense, it is simple to implement. USB allows for low jitter clocking physiclly near the DAC. It has become relatively simple to...
  6. R

Class D Amplifiers 101

Air core inductors have .......... not as much hysteresis and fewer issues with saturation compared to those with ferrite cores. Sort of an understatement, Don.
  7. R

Ascend Acoustics Horizon Center Speaker Review

Sorry, the center channel was INTENDED in the 5.1 specification for dialog. It doesn't mean it is always used correctly. This may help explain: https://www.lifewire.com/center-channel-speaker-4142693
  8. R

A most unusual driver layout for mains. It was Amir who reviewed it as a center channel speaker.
  9. R

My experience has been that many DVD's sound is poorly mastered with respect to dialog. I believe it is still assumed that most viewers are using 1960 mono TV sets! Anything mastered for DVD since the mid '90s should have a proper center channel for dialog. Another point to be mentioned (and...
  10. R

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Do we care? It's the input circuits that do the trick.
  11. R

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

It will be the same or worse than SPDIF because AES is decoded through the same (AKM?) device. Advice: Balanced for analog; USB or coax for digital.
  12. R

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

It took me a day to get it;, Stuart is a very sharp guy. His circuit design is clever as well. Some levity IS required in this thread: What about Chopin?
  13. R

Schiit Vidar Amplifier Review

Good point. Using the XLR input to achieve mono operation may prove problematic for some users. It appears that the XLR is simply pinned out as pin2 to one channel, pin 3 to the other. This arrangement will not work properly for any source with only impedance balanced XLR outputs; this is the...
  14. R

Jeff Rowland 535 Stereo Amplifier Review

Mitek does mention upgrading parts. I have no experience with Hypex power supplies but if I remember, we were quoted ~$18 for a single channel 200 watt OEM module. Compare that to the cost and convenience of the Pascal stereo unit with combined power supply..
Top Bottom