Recent content by Reed

1. R

NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review

I’ve had my C658 for about three years. No issues with Dirac or sub output. My biggest complaint is with how BlueOS handles AirPlay. Volume can be very loud if switching from another source - like Tidal Connect. There is now a volume range control in the app but I think it’s global and not just...
  2. R

The Florida International Audio Expo 2024

Just got back from a really quick run through of the show. Lots of beautiful hardware and speakers. As for what music was being played, the only artist I heard twice was Dylan. Both times, and on different floors, it was the same song, ”Man in the Long Black Coat”. As for what “sounded good” the...
  3. R

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

What are the best practices for measuring in-room response using REW? Please include REW software settings for Mac and PC. Also mic placement. I know there are many threads that touch on this but it would be nice to consolidate.
  4. R

Apple is forced to allow installation of 3rd party Apps (outside of their official store) in the EU

You’re asking people who never back up their phones or computers if Apple should let them sideload apps. And they say of course.
  5. R

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Odessa, FL (just north of Tampa).
  6. R

ASR MEMBERS: What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles?

I think expectations come into play a bit here. If you park your buddy in front of massive speakers and many large boxes, they’ll be on alert, ready for nirvana. I parked by buddy in front of my tiny Genelec 8030C and Rel sub, all passed through Dirac. Without coaxing, he starts laughing and...
  7. R

Dispersion in Assymetrical Room (Revel vs Genelec...)

I have the same asymmetrical layout in a room with over 20’ of glass sliders along the right side. Slightly greater distance from LP to speakers. Right speaker 3’ from sidewall. And I have Revel M105 with one of their centers and an SVS sealed sub. I also have a pair of Genelec 8930c in another...
  8. R

Drummers you can't mistake

I gravitate to drummers in trios since they are responsible for much more of the sound. So Stewart Copeland, Frank Beard, Neil Peart, etc. A few prog drummers like Gavin Harrison and especially Bill Bruford. And a number of jazz drummers. Lots of history there. So who or what is next? JD Beck...
  9. R

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

For those who bought their RZ50 refurbished or open box, how’s it going? any problems?
  10. R

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Reasons for vinyl in this modern world 1. Full size artwork. Anyone see Squaring the Circle (The Story of Hipgnosis)? The art and packaging can’t be replicated in digital. 2. Some works just aren’t available digitally 3. Special releases and box sets (see 1 and 2) 4. Nostalgia I gave away 90%...
  11. R

How big is your listening room?

Make the best of what you have. 10’x11’x10’ so problematic size. I move my chair in front of the bed or sit on the floor teenage style. 6.5’ equilateral LP when using the chair. Dirac in the C658 solves most of the mode problems. I listen at low or moderate levels. I have to have a functional...
  12. R

Lenbrooke acquires MQA

I wonder if the acquisition has more to do with SCL6 than the “hi-fi” characteristics of MQA. This article makes me think maybe so. What is SCL6? All the facts on the future of wireless audio This would certainly affect their Bluesound hardware and it could play a part in NAD’s multi-channel...
  13. R

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

This whole subject generally puts me off of ASR for a few days. That a group of folks like “the sound” of Magnepans is unacceptable to many here and they just can’t deal with it. Yep, it’s a science site but I’m in that group that says, yes, this is a great way to make sense of why a speaker...
  14. R

Why are there no female Audiophiles?

Thanks for this. I’m a bit obsessive compulsive. That’s not self-diagnosed btw. My father, an engineer had it. Obcom isn’t always about cleaning or locking doors. I’m pretty sure it plays a role in how I relate to sound. I say sound because even though at 65 my hearing isn’t what it used to be...
  15. R

First Impressions of the Magnepan LRS vs. the LRS+

Can you measure with the speakers on the floor. I’d like to see the difference in room coupling
Top Bottom