Recent content by RDacoustic

1. RDacoustic

Building a High End Listening Room Part 1: Goals, Construction Works, Diffusers

To be fair, this is a re-post of one of our blog posts that we do as part of our business activity. You are not far off from the "no five minute job", though, there are still things to react to in another thread I started during summer... And the room took like half a year, even with our...
  2. RDacoustic

Power grid interference: What does it look like measured with different tools?

No, it certainly does not. I would need to know the grid/grounding point impedance to be able to say what's happening in the video. My guess is that if the impedance is high (high resistance), what the line meter shows will be influenced by the SMPS's filter. Since the SMPS is not in load, only...
  3. RDacoustic

There is no frequency conversion involved (if I understand you right). How would that work? The noise is amplified, amplitude modulation is why we are concerned with high frequencies that we cannot hear.
  4. RDacoustic

Right. Well, the articles we write that I wish to post here are usually tied to a product of ours and I can't get rid of that link entirely, and yes, we want people to know what we make, but as for your hypothesis, in all fairness, I can hardly imagine this forum's members to be our target...
  5. RDacoustic

Having experience from the field of electromagnetic interference in industrial applications, we incorporated HF noise filtration into our high end portfolio as a simple and essential means of increasing the distance between useful signal and noise. I would like to start a discussion about this...
  6. RDacoustic

Building a High End Listening Room Part 2: Fine-tuning the Acoustics

Right. :) I had smaller nuances in mind, despite your pic. The thing to consider here is how low we actually want to go. Let's look at it this way: We can discern where sound is coming from (localisation of direction given by the physiology of the human ear) on the higher part of the mids and on...
  7. RDacoustic

The ceiling diffuser is similar to the wall one. Both are acoustic foam plus a layer of wood on top of the segments, and they are based on the same pattern. Going for the quadratic version instead of the smooth lines was (here at least) purely an aesthetic choice. I won't give out the exact...
  8. RDacoustic

Interestingly enough, such a thing seems to exist; Berlin's Kharma Audio have the same pattern made in bent (or maybe milled?) wood. Full disclosure: Ours and theirs came about independently; we'd actually thought we were going to be the first to introduce the drop pattern in this size, which...
  9. RDacoustic

Maybe these two will give you a rough idea... As for the absorption: I talked about this in the other thread. All that is responsible for absorption here is the foam parts of the diffusers, acoustic canvases on the sides, the curtain on the door and then of course the carpet/armchairs. As...
  10. RDacoustic

A detailed description of the treatment is in the Part 2 thread. That said, yes, with approximately what you see on the final picture above, the room becomes ideal. The diffusers (ceiling and front/back) are acoustic foam + a layer of wood, so they are responsible for soundproofing also. On top...
  11. RDacoustic

One would have a free hand at how large does one want the space to be and the wall ratios could be as best as possible vis-a-vis resonance frequencies. Generally, one is limited even when planning a new house entirely. Otherwise, however, the steps would be the same. Ideal room size, ideal...
  12. RDacoustic

This is a second part of a post about the construction of our listening room, this time concerning acoustic adjustments. The goal: the best possible listening space. Basic Properties of the Room A quiet place, far from low frequency vibrations caused by cars, trucks, trams, etc. The room is...
  13. RDacoustic

This is an account of the process and the steps we took when building our listening room last year. This part deals with preparations, plans and the construction, while the second part will deal with acoustic tuning and include more theory+advice+measurements. The goal: the best possible...
Top Bottom