Recent content by rcstevensonaz

1. R

Wiring Speakon and Banana plugs

Why are they using perfectly sensible measurements of mm2, when they could instead be using the arcane AWG measurement system? :-) But for those of us who don't live on a perfectly sensible continent, here is a translation guide for WBT: http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/CrimpSleeveSelector.html
  2. R

Wiring Speakon and Banana plugs

This thread got me intrigued since I never heard of ferrules before. Googled the topic, started reading first relevant article, only to came across @Speedskater providing information on ferrules in the first article I started reading...
  3. R

Topping E30 DAC Review

I can't argue on that. But, curious why the behavior of E30 and D90 are designed to behave differently after a power cycle.
  4. R

Topping E30 DAC Review

Thanks. But I think that confirms the A-O/A-C toggle doesn't address the issue either of us posted. We want the E30 to be awake and active when powered on if there is a USB device connected. Or, for it to at least automatically become active when there is audio being sent over the USB after...
  5. R

Topping E30 DAC Review

As an update: the most recent drivers launched by Topping for E30 (and other DACs) are now v5.62: https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/874980.html And copying from earlier comment by @nsfgp :
  6. R

Topping E30 DAC Review

Can someone explain how that fixes the issue? Changing between A-C and A-O doesn't seem to make any difference. I am having the same problem — my E30 (AK4493 version from 2020, FW v1.08) is powered by a 5V adapter plugged into a power strip that controls my AV rack. When I power on the AV rack...
  7. R

Squeezebox replacement - picore with which speakers?

Obsolesces of Ethernet vs. WIFI... this is an unexpected benefit of buying audio devices that have an ethernet port, even when the audio device will be located somewhere that is only accessible via wireless. Of course, as @Whoareyou noted, who would have expected to be still using their...
  8. R

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Excellent point! But... FreeBSD 2.0, which was released in November 1994, was the first version of FreeBSD without any code from AT&T. So I think this largely comes down to semantics (and lawyers). However, even more interesting: it turns out that macOS has the licensed right to use the UNIX...
  9. R

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Not to be pedantic, but macOS is not UNIX based either. Its heritage pulls in part from FreeBSD, which is a UNIX-like distribution based on the Berkley Standard Distribution (BSD). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD
  10. R

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Very true! But normally, the discontinuation notice comes from the manufacture, not the end distributor. In my case, I would have preferred to wait a few more months before making the purchase and would rather order through a USA-based distributor. But knowing this model is now discontinued...
  11. R

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

In an email exchange with Apos, they confirmed the Topping A30 Pro is discontinued. The Silver is no longer being manufactured, but the said they could potentially still get some black units. It wasn't clear if the black units are still being manufactured (e.g., using up parts inventory at...
  12. R

How do I plug this cable into this hole?

Is that only the case for typical short-run interconnects? Or, does AWG still not matter for sound quality on longer cable as well, for example a 15' / 5m or more? (setting aside issue of noise introduction on long unbalanced vs. balanced cables, which is different issue)
  13. R

How do I plug this cable into this hole?

I fully agree! But, I would expand "correctly built" to include (a) properly sized, (b) accurately wired, (c) competently built, using (d) sufficiently quality components. Examples: (a) The AWG of the wire is undersized for the distance and/or electric current* (b) Pins 1 & 2 on an XLR balanced...
  14. R

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

You don't mention which country, so I am assuming USA. For professional audio equipment (e.g., RME, Neumann, Genelec, Ashley, Shure, beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, etc.), I've had great luck ordering through Tim Finnegan <[email protected]> at Dale Pro Audio in the past. That was several years...
  15. R

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Then I completely misunderstood your comment — I thought you were asking about having the WiiM provide the DAC function, sending analog audio stream to the Topping D90SE. On the other hand, if you are having the WiiM send the digital stream to another DAC (e.g., Topping D90SE), you only need...
Top Bottom