Recent content by ralphf

1. R

The audiophile mindset

. I remember looking very much forward to CD but not really loving the sound. Sounded flat and lifeless to me. Music never sounded as good as when it did when i was young. I wonder how much of the love of vinyl comes from our past experience when our hearing was much better.
  2. R

The audiophile mindset

That is very true, but the unfortunate part is that they don't know that they don't know what they don't know.
  3. R

This made me laugh. Not only applicable to HiFi sadly.

I'm not sure what your argument is at this point. I don't think credentials alone end debates. That's my only point and I think it is basically beyond criticism.
  4. R

Again, nobody ever said that credentials aren't important and even necessary. The question is whether they are conclusive and obviate the necessity of dealing with the arguments of others. Hence the reason why people often get second opinions from experts.
  5. R

Of course. I certainly wasn't saying that credentials are worthless. But you might want to get a second opinion before you lie down for open heart surgery.
  6. R

Not saying that peer-review is worthless at all, just saying that it is NOT conclusive. Credentials do not end the discussion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1420798/ https://www.vox.com/2015/12/7/9865086/peer-review-science-problems...
  7. R

I'd much rather hear about why the guy's position was WRONG rather than how unreasonable he is and how credentialed and peer-reviewed the other side is. It's all just appeal to authority -- a fallacy. At the end of day, we are saddled with the responsibility to deal with the arguments of others...
  8. R

I agree with you, and I certainly rely on experts; but I never give total uncritical, blind reliance. The issue is whether or not credentials end arguments and allow people to dismiss the opinions of others. It was that, I believe, to which the respondent replied "bullshit".
  9. R

Amir vs. Abyss: The Battle We Need

Just curious: why not prove who is right once and for all by conducting a proper study which would finally put the issue to rest? The bottom line is that the issue can only TRULY be answered by conducting such a study. All other evidence is merely circumstantial if the question is whether people...
  10. R

I think all people would agree that credentials have value and that a person with credentials is more likely to be correct than a person without. But some people like to think critically and don't rely on experts. Time and experience has shown them the value of thinking for themselves and not...
  11. R

I don't think that is the issue. Ask yourself, why the need to list the credentials in the first place? That listing of credentials comes before the reply of "bullshit", not the other way around. Sounds more like the guy was responding to his point being dismissed. Thus he called "bullshit"...
  12. R

Not sure what the reply of "bullshit" in the text was meant to refer to, but it probably referred to the position that nobody gets a free pass simply because of their credentials. Regardless of your station in life or your authority, every person needs to support his positions -- there is no...
  13. R

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

The poster suggested that linking the 2nd law with time travel reflected a lack of basic understanding of physics. The links I provided caused him to admit that he was unaware of the link. Not sure how that makes me a troll or unintentionally ignorant.
  14. R

Perhaps it is you who should "behoove" yourself to open your mind before you give unsolicited advice to others. But its irrelevant anyway, because neither physics nor time travel had anything to do with the discussion whatsoever at any point. http://cosmology.com/PopovicConsciousTime.pdf...
  15. R

I was referring to you, not the lectures. But If I have to read Feynman's lectures on physics in order to have an intelligent discussion with you that involves actual idea sharing rather than anemic ad hominems, I think I'm going to pass. Can you please put me on "unsubscribe"?
Top Bottom