Recent content by Qbd

1. Q

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

That does put them just about where your ears will be when standing up though, which is a bit unfortunate.
  2. Q

Burnt smell from speaker, but it’s still working fine. Should I be concerned?

I already have, but it just isn’t the same! I can’t detect the smell at all now inside the speaker.
  3. Q

I’ve finally gotten around to opening up the speaker. Prepare for an exclusive, as these may well be the only pictures of this speakers insides available! The driver is kind of hard to inspect, but at least I don’t see any signs of damage in the crossover components. Feel free to comment on...
  4. Q

12v Trigger cable

Probably a bit more expensive than mass market fixed size options, but I’m sure many custom cable makers will do it. I’ve previously used custom-lynx for trigger cables, xlr cables, custom bridged speakon and xlr cables etc. and was very happy. Their trigger-suited mono jack cables are here.
  5. Q

Listening distance is only about 2.5 m (8 ft). It’s a fairly small room at about 4.2 x 3 m (13.8 x 9.8 ft). But yeah I was probably close to the limits of the speakers, especially on a fairly intense track at those volumes.
  6. Q

It’s luckily a decently soundproofed room, so while it’s slightly audible outside the house at those volumes, it’s not something anyone would complain about!
  7. Q

Thanks for all the input! I’ll definitely try a sweep and listen for any strangeness, and I guess a REW measurement sweep with the mic close to each speaker could also be interesting. I’ll also see if it’s easy to open it up. As long as the driver isn’t glued to the case I guess that should be...
  8. Q

Well it’s like the difference between a live rock concert and using headphones. At those volumes you feel the sound in your chest, hair, and pant legs vibrating. It makes the music (especially rock/metal that’s pretty much meant to be loud) much more engaging to me.
  9. Q

I sometimes like to play loud (with concert plugs to protect my hearing). So anyway, I started blasting some Manowar, and on a fairly loud track (King of Kings) I suddenly smelled a burning smell. I immediately lowered the volume. My nose indicates it came from the port on my right speaker. I...
  10. Q

Whatcha think about "pro" amps from Crown, QSC, etc?

I’m fairly sure it’s not possible to bypass the DSP, and yeah that may well be the source.
  11. Q

Whatcha think about "pro" amps from Crown, QSC, etc?

But the hiss is inherent to the amp though, and if it isn’t coming from the input those things won’t help. I have a Crown XLS 1502 that I’ve tried with my speakers, and that results in audible hiss at the listening position with my speakers (Ascendo Immersive Audio CCRM12P, 99 dB/1W), both when...
  12. Q

Anyone own or heard Ascendo subwoofers?

I think that their infrasonic subwoofers, like the 50 inch, are usually paired with smaller subs that handle the higher frequencies from, say, 20-30 Hz up. That said, large subs like 24 inchers tend to perform well at least to 200 Hz or so from what I can see on data-bass.com, so is there any...
  13. Q

Anyone own or heard Ascendo subwoofers?

If the 50 inch model wasn’t enough, there seems to be an 80 inch model on the way… Mentioned briefly in this video.
  14. Q

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

Reviews of the specific product are still nice though, e.g. to root out design issues like suboptimal cable routing like I’ve experienced with a hypex based amp.
  15. Q

Soundproofing my room

Sounds like you’re looking for a Stenomask. Edit: Don’t know if they work well for singing, but at least you’d look super cool!
Top Bottom