Recent content by Pygmy

1. P

Wanting to build 2 small subwoofers to go on either side of my fireplace - advice appreciated

Just thinking out loud here - an SB Acoustics 10" shallow driver has a depth of about 9cm so that would fit - when using 18mm mdf or plywood there's 17.4mm of inside space available so a driver like that would only take half space... meaning I could make the cabinet less than 21cm wide, and add...
  2. P

Wanting to build 2 small subwoofers to go on either side of my fireplace - advice appreciated

Yes other people mentioned that as well, my only problem with that is that the woofer will then be firing straight into either my bookcase or the wall of the fireplace :-/
  3. P

Thank you all for your ideas! I'll go over some of them: - a side firing woofer might indeed be better than using 6.5" or 8" woofers in the 21cm front - but it'll be side-firing directly into either the bookcase or the fireplace, that doesn't seem right..? - yes, we use the fireplace - I've...
  4. P

I have a big drop down projector screen that drops in front of the fireplace. Next to the fireplace - left and right - are two bookcases, BUT there's a 21cm space between the fireplace and those. So - I have on both sides a spot of 21cm wide, 48cm high, 30cm deep that's not actively being used...
  5. P

Minidsp SHD Power Amplifier Review

Agreed, I have honestly never heard any difference in amplifiers besides "This one makes my speakers hiss when I'm not playing music, the other one doesn't". It took some modding to get my YuanJing TPA3116D2 based amplifier silent but $15 on parts and 15 minutes of soldering did the trick :)...
  6. P

I just used the Hifiberry DSP+ filters to perform the PEQ I calculated using REW.
  7. P

Home theater receiver on a budget, and room correction implementations (Dirac Live, YPAO RSC, Audyssey XT32)

A'aight so I'm back and I bought some stuff :) For the living room (home theater 5.0 setup) I bought the NAD T758 V3i - yes, the one that measured terribly on this site - and for the kitchen (2.0 setup, since today 2.1 setup) I bought a MiniDSP SHD Power. I spent some time measuring both rooms...
  8. P

I've just pushed the 'buy' button on the MiniDSP Power SHD. It'll be the amplifier for my "live-in kitchen", replacing my DIY Class D TPA3116D2 amplifier. The TPA3116D2 worked perfectly and sounded great. Then I used REW and a UMik1 to measure the response, and a RaspberryPi with HifiBerry Dac...
  9. P

Are McIntosh amplifiers worth it?

Let's put it like this... their build quality is top notch, both physically and electronic design wise. Yes, they *measure* better than cheaper gear. On the other hand, consider this : The NAD T758 V3I receiver had *awful* measurements on this site and was basically burned down to the ground...
  10. P

Home theater receiver on a budget, and room correction implementations (Dirac Live, YPAO RSC, Audyssey XT32)

Hi Frantz. I get that it takes a lot of work to make a system sound good. I have two rooms to think about - the living room which is mostly used for movies (videoprojector, drop down screen, 5 speakers no subwoofer) and the live-in-kitchen where most of life happens. For the kitchen I've built...
  11. P

Thanks for sharing - this is my current train of thought as well. What I read is most people are very happy with the Yamaha and YPAO (RSC) except maybe for the subwoofer part (which is irrelevant because I don't have a subwoofer), but Dirac still seems to be more advanced in the general...
  12. P

I was doing just that.. what I could find was the mention of the Denon AVR-X3800H ($1,699) being the cheapest to include Dirac Live.. Which - sadly - probably means it'll be over 2000 euros here in europe. There currently are a lot of reasons I'm happy to not live in the US, but my audio hobby...
  13. P

That's 26 pages, I didn't see anything on page 1 neither on page 26.. If you can be more specific on where to find the price point on new Denons I'd very much appreciate it!
  14. P

So what's the price point on that new Denon X series..? Keep in mind I'm looking for the best room correction under 2000 euros ;-) One thing that bothers me is that most companies seem to focus on more channels and shizzle. I don't need more channels, and neither does anyone I know. I...
Top Bottom