Recent content by pwjazz

1. pwjazz

Ideas for Building a New Flat Plate Measurement Rig

Good question, I haven't really paid much attention to them as I focus mostly on frequency response. When I get a chance I'll take a look.
  2. pwjazz

Ideas for Building a New Flat Plate Measurement Rig

You could try something like crinacle's approach: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/ I personally use an in ear mic capsule mounted in some Symbio W hybrid tips and take measurements on my own head using my natural outer ear. I reference everything to my HD58X's measurements as a...
  3. pwjazz

Objectivist friendly and wallet friendly IEM?

I can recommend the QKZ VK4 on sound. I paid $16 for one and it's got a very natural timbre, solid bass, and a pleasant treble. I only got it yesterday so I can't comment on durability. It feels almost identical to a KZ ZST, which is to say light and cheap, but probably robust enough. Comfort is...
  4. pwjazz

HD6XX bass

A better and may help some, but only to a point. The HD6?? headphones are wonderful, but their bass distortion is not competitive with planar magnetic nor modern moving coil designs like the Focal Elex.
  5. pwjazz

Expensive headphones that sound bad

I do hope to try some ZMFs one day. Crinacle has started measuring headphones, including some ZMFs. He uses a non-standard rig (a frankenstein based on MiniDSP E.A.R.S.), so take the measurements with a grain of salt. Comparing his Eikon measurements with the HD650, I see a few notable...
  6. pwjazz

Anyone else just not bothered by home theatre?

The only time we get to watch movies are after the kids have gone to bed, so large sound is not a priority. 2.0 for the win.
  7. pwjazz

Expensive headphones that sound bad

This might be the first time I've seen someone call a ZMF headphone terrible. I've never actually heard one myself. Please do tell ...
  8. pwjazz

Subjective descriptors for audible transparency (that aren't BS)

It occurs to me that I contributed to us getting off topic, apologies to @Incursio ! The original question was how to describe the benefits of audible transparency using audiophile-friendly language. I already made a suggestion, curious to hear what more there are.
  9. pwjazz

Love that site! It was very useful in figuring out how to archive my music collection and in what format to distribute it to my listening devices.
  10. pwjazz

Gosh, I can't help myself, I must answer ... You could try building a hardware ABX tester and using the software that I wrote to control it if that'll make you feel better. I did this fairly early in my still young audiophile journey and the exercise quickly convinced me that differences...
  11. pwjazz

It seems that you have made up your mind about me, so there's nothing else to discuss. I'm going to get back to listening, measuring and reading in an effort to better understand why I hear what I hear.
  12. pwjazz

What I "believe" I hear varies greatly depending on time of day, mood, how I slept and ate, prior activities that day, etc. Not even remotely. Observation is a critical element of science, and for me is often the starting point of understanding. I'm able to enjoy a golden sunset without...
  13. pwjazz

I don't. I'm interested in enjoying music. Measurements are only interesting in so far as they relate to what I hear when listening to music, so anything that scientifically correlates audio perception with technical measurements is gold to me.
  14. pwjazz

Objectivists and subjectivist both sometimes miss the forest for the trees. 1. Transducers (speakers, headphones) matter a lot more than source gear, as long as that source gear doesn't have horrible distortion or a high noise floor with the given transducer, so I find little use in obsessing...
Top Bottom