Recent content by pwjazz

1. pwjazz

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

My glasses can cause issues if headphones clamp too hard. With the K371 it's not bad. My comfort issue with these is mostly due to insufficient pad/cup depth and lack of airflow.
  2. pwjazz

FWIW I wear thick rimmed glasses and they definitely reduce the bass, but I actually prefer that bass level to the one with a perfect seal.
  3. pwjazz

Hifiman HE400i Review (planar headphone)

I think Hifiman uses hardened steel, so I would avoid trying to bend it very much. I may have tried to bend a very similar headband once and it may have broken clean in half. I'm not admitting to anything though.
  4. pwjazz

I never sleep with IEMs, but I do wear them in bed. With the right tips, the Starfield fits securely and deep enough that lying on my side is comfortable enough. The only IEMs I have that are more comfortable for bed are the tiny Sony MH755.
  5. pwjazz

If you're looking for planars with a distinct character, the Audeze full size LCD line definitely fits the bill. In my case, the novelty of that character wore off eventually and I found myself reaching for EQ, but their tuning is a very interesting take that's definitely not Harman inspired...
  6. pwjazz

Fair enough, "extremely similar" would be more accurate than "essentially the same". Going by the measurements you posted, their overall sound profile is quite similar. The biggest deviation is in the sub-bass extension, which is going to be affected by seal anyway. There is also what looks like...
  7. pwjazz

I owned an HE400i years ago, but it's gone through several revisions since then. The OG HE400i had a suspension headband that I remember being a bit more comfortable, but plastic yokes that are prone to breaking. I think one generation got metal reinforced plastic yokes to fix that, but the...
  8. pwjazz

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

I'm pretty sure you want a low shelf filter, not a low pass.
  9. pwjazz

I'm not @watchnerd but I have the K371 and HE4XX (for all intents and purposes the same as the HE400i). Comfort wise the HE4XX wins by virtue of having more room for my ears and not getting sweaty since it's an open back. Build quality wise the HE4XX is quite different from the HE400i, but I'm...
  10. pwjazz

@amirm I just wanted to say that I tried this EQ with my HE4XX (which is very similar to the HE400i) and it sounds fantastic. Without EQ, the HE4XX sounds a bit anemic, a bit tizzy and a bit hazy with unnatural timbre, with your EQ it sounds much more natural and clean, more impactful and while...
  11. pwjazz

Abyss Diana V2 Review (headphone)

Agreed. It's disappointing that the various prominent people who have access to professional measurement gear and ostensibly care about good audio don't interact more collegially. That is to say, disagree without being disagreeable and talk to each other rather than past each other. If they...
  12. pwjazz

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

If you're okay with using Bluetooth, you can get something like a Qudelix 5K that had built in DSP. That way anything you play over the Qudelix will get the EQ treatment.
  13. pwjazz

FWIW I don't mind subjective reviews at the level of "I enjoyed listening to X song with Y equipment" or even stuff like "this sounds bassy and has shouty vocals on X recording". Where they fall down for me is when people start talking about stuff like detail or fast bass or transient response...
  14. pwjazz

Fiio M15 Review (Digital Audio Player)

Or a Qudelix 5K for like $100. Yeah it doesn't measure as well and isn't quite as powerful, but for most uses it's good enough and you can't beat the form factor.
  15. pwjazz

I imagine it's supply and demand. It's specialized equipment and I don't think a lot of people have a need for it.
Top Bottom