Recent content by Punter

1. Punter

1 foot solid silver conductor interconnect vs. 0.5 foot Mogami W2964 interconnect

My guess is that the OP would have a set of interconnects in both materials, swap them out and then recline in his comfy chair to appreciate the "difference" . Thanks to the power of the mind to alter perception, he would have been able to discern the obvious changes in the audio between the...
  2. Punter

1 foot solid silver conductor interconnect vs. 0.5 foot Mogami W2964 interconnect

Fussy fussy! OK two lengths of coat hanger wire but they would obviously have to be equal length to preserve phase coherence!
  3. Punter

Neither, both could be replaced with a length of coat-hanger wire with no signal degradation.
  4. Punter

The bestiary of the most common (and debunked by science) audiophile myths

Interestingly, having a CNC outfit cut this enclosure wouldn't be as expensive as the pricetag of the finished unit would suggest. With some volume of production, the setup cost would be absorbed into the machine time and would come down to something quite bearable. From a design perspective...
  5. Punter

Can you hear a difference between audio cables? ABX test

But which cable is the more "Danceable"??????
  6. Punter

The bestiary of the most common (and debunked by science) audiophile myths

Within the bestiary, I think nothing is more egregious than the promotion of components that scientifically and technically cannot have any bearing on the "sound" of a HiFi system. The headline components for me are mains cables and fuses. Interestingly, the former begat the latter as magical...
  7. Punter

Can anyone explain the 8-track renaissance?

The 8 Track was a bastardisation of the broadcast audio cartridge. When I started in radio in 1982, if it wasn't live or vinyl it was coming off a "cart". Even now the word "cart" is still used to describe a commercial or other piece of short recorded audio on a broadcast playout system. The...
  8. Punter

Extreme Snake Oil

Yep, it's essential to control any mechanical resonance when you're dealing with something like a DAC with no moving parts!!
  9. Punter

The Truth About Vinyl Records

In my original post, I laid out the necessary compensations that had to be enforced on the master recording if it was going to be transferred to a vinyl master. These compensations mean that sonically, the mix has been purposely altered to accommodate the limitations of the lathe and the...
  10. Punter

Extreme Snake Oil

Whatever money was spent on the room treatment has not taken the reflections out of it! I'm not an acoustics engineer but I tend to think that a room that live would not be the best environment for evaluating a pair of stereo loudspeakers. Just one man's opinion :)
  11. Punter

I'm not a vinyl "hater" I composed the original post to illustrate the unavoidable compromises of putting a complex music mix onto a vinyl disk. My HiFi journey began with the Compact Cassette and vinyl LP's but because I'm a Tech, when something demonstrably better from a technical...
  12. Punter

HiFi Technology Flatlined Last Century

I think most of the equipment I named could be labelled "HiFi" in the conventional sense.
  13. Punter

Where do I get one of these noiseless LP's from???
  14. Punter

HiFi Technology Flatlined Last Century

Thanks for the mention of DMS and MEMS kemmler3D. I can see how these technologies could be combined into a very different class of loudspeaker. I found this reference for DMS technology www.acoustics.asn.au/conference_proceedings/AAS2002/AAS2002/PDF/AUTHOR/AC020098.PDF and this one for MEMS...
  15. Punter

"Premium" USB & Ethernet cables?

Fortunately for the manufacturers (or merely resellers) of these magic cables, the average punter has little to no understanding of the technology they use. Computer networking, while not a black art, is nonetheless a total mystery to the unwashed public. If you start to explain it to...
Top Bottom