Recent content by punkriot

1. P

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Anyone tested that one: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-with-volume/audiophonics-usb-balanced-dac-es9038-pro-xlr-32bit384khz-dsd-128-amanero-tcxo-p-12449.htm? Ess9038 pro, balanced, under 500 EUR. Interesting.
  2. P

Review and Measurements of SMSL X-USB Digital Audio Converter

Yes, with my Opus 21 XS I have very old synchronous USB, not recommended, supporting 16/44.1 khz input. But with Allo DigiOne (similar like the one described but Ethernet to SPDIF) I can feed this old good DAC with 24/96 Khz. So it is young again. There is definitively market for such...
  3. P

DAC/Amp Recommendation

I use https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91 with iPad and iPhone. It allows you to connect power adapter. So I can use AQ DragonFly on the go, only with power from iPad, but for Meridian Explorer2, there is a need to connect the power adapter...
  4. P

HiFi Berry DAC+ Pro Now with XLR

@watchnerd what are you impression regarding the XLR version? I just order one, as at this price point it was the only option to create Roon bridge that feeds active monitors.
  5. P

I would love to see measurements of some of the RPI based, DIY DACs like HiFiBerry DAC https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundles/dac-bundle/ or Allo Boss: https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-player.html. You feed them directly from Ethernet (with Roon for example). Very convenient option if they do...
  6. P

Review and Measurements of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Thanks @amirm, very good review and measurements!
  7. P

Topping DX7 DAC & Headphone Amplifier Review and Measurements

Regarding Spotify, they are still not using lossless compression. So this is probably the reason why they do not care about WASAPI exclusive mode. You can test TIDAL for a while. With HiFi or Master you can use WASAPI exclusive mode.
  8. P

Amir's TODO thread

@amirm , after some not that good tests of Schiit multibit DAC I wonder if you have access to any DAC using last true audio multibit converter BurrBrown PCM1704 24-bit? I am really interested how this will measure comparing modern to multibit and delta sigm chips? I have one, Resolution Audio...
  9. P

Dx7s has XLR outputs, so for me it is huge benefit. However I decided to go for Pro-ject because in Poland the final price was half of DX7s, I have local official distributor, full two years warranty etc. In US it is probably different case, the price difference is smaller and probably there...
  10. P

Thanks Amir for the review. I wonder about the distortion compensation setting. In "test mode", it is enabled with Brickwall filter selected. In "best" mode it should be disabled with optimal filter enabled, and your last test confirm this. Huge difference! Probably the better wording for "Best...
  11. P

You can keep your high hopes for Pro-ject. It is good, small, almost portable DAC/PreAmp/HeadPhone Amp. I don't belive we should blame Project for giving possibilities to change filters and other settings of ESS chip. For sure they should document it better, but on the other hand those settings...
  12. P

And then you push the knob, this is the only way to save the setting after power off. This is of course not documented. I prefer remote control , then you just press OK. I also don't know if you need to reboot the unit or not to have this setting changed.
  13. P

Pre-Box S2 can be powered using only USB input from computer (this is portable version of 9038 not the Pro one). And this is how is should be used with USB input by default. The SMPS is only there to use for other inputs. If you want to use external power supply when using USB it has to be...
  14. P

Myth or reality? Volume control in Windows

Thanks @Soniclife , so if all works as expected go for event mode. If there are problems, push mode as a fallback. Clear.
  15. P

Small PC vs streamer

I bought from Allo, DigiOne and USBridge. Both are great small devices, and work pretty well. I did it not to improve the sound but to get rid of computer from my living room and from my work desk. They are small, dead silent, use small amount of energy. My 2 years doughtier is not interested...
Top Bottom