Recent content by psemeraro

1. P

Ashly NE8250 Review (Pro 8-channel Amp)

By "distributed" I dont mean 70 volt, I mean the amplifier might live in a different building than the speakers its driving and it might be monitored and managed by a team in a different state. Audio signal and management/control all move over cat 5. 8 channels of middling wattage, competent...
  2. P

Ashly NE8250 Review (Pro 8-channel Amp)

Please allow me to take a different approach that may offer some clarification. The "market" that amplifier exists in is system based. By that I mean the audio pieces, video pieces, switching and routing, admin and monitoring etc are all integrated together. Qsys is probably the most common...
  3. P

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C (4 Channel Pro Amp)

Tours begin with a "rider" (an acceptable list of gear) which is sent out to bid. Manufacturers work for decades to get into the tier one and tier two categories. Starting about 10 years ago, speaker manufacturers bundle amps and dsp as captive systems. All the processing, tuning and...
  4. P

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C (4 Channel Pro Amp)

Hi. A "professional" in this industry would not be using no-name amplifiers. In live PA Tier 1 you have Crown I-Tech, Powersoft, LabG, and right below that you have Crest, QSC, mid level Crowns and a few others. Expect to pay about $5000 for one amplifier in tier one and about $3000 for one...
  5. P

Darlington Labs MM-5 Review (Phono Stage)

As mentioned earlier, I only run my mani at lowest gain setting. Battery powered, in isolation, it sounds quite good - powerful, punchy, wide separation, etc., but its character seems to change for the worse at higher gain settings. Pat
  6. P

I did nothing to allow for DC supply. Correct polarity DC passes thru the AC rectifier diodes with about a 1.5v drop. The nominal 16v AC wall wart becomes about 24v DC in the Mani after rectification. The first internal voltage regulator regulates the rectified 24vish v DC to 12v, so...
  7. P

I currently have an MM6 on trial. I've also learned over time that ASR can be a difficult place to share impressions without an APA printout and peer-reviewed double blind test results to backup a claim of what I'm hearing. Compared to my battery powered, DC output coupled Mani which is...
  8. P

SOUND LIAISON, PCM DXD DSD free compare formats sampler. A new 2.0 version.

As you are someone who works in ProTools, then you know full-well that "warmth" is a little more complicated than how you are describing it. "Warmth" from vintage gear does not automatically mean mud... but rather a combination of harmonics/noise and other artifacts, often in the midrange area...
  9. P

Vinyl is not as bad as I expected.

You're exactly right. This is about the speaker/amplifier "system" on its own being intrinsically accurate including flat phase response. The room is a completely different variable and "room correction" by the end user via DSP, treatments, etc is a different process but that process is made...
  10. P

Appreciate this discussion! Phase coherent (drivers matching in time at the crossover frequency) is not the same as flat phase (literally a flat line when measuring phase response) Most speakers when measured will show a phase "wrap" which is a time domain behavior error and is separate...
  11. P

HI. I'm referring to EAW Gunness focused, and Meyer pretty much everything in the past few years. There are others but EAW and Meyer are the ones I'm most familiar with. You can look up EAW NT and focusing to learn more. I dont think any have been tested here. I am familiar with DSP room...
  12. P

That's not a quibble at all. My home speakers do not have perfect phase response as I do not use DSP at home and they are very enjoyable and measurably accurate in the frequency and time domain. And, lot's of expensive pro audio speakers sound bad, especially at domestic levels. I'm talking...
  13. P

It is interesting that some folks feel the need to defend their preference of digital or vinyl. Or worse, try to convince someone else that what they like is wrong. Of course digital is empirically better, for me vinyl is more fun. Your world view might be different and that's ok. I enjoy...
  14. P

With respect, you're conflating two different things. Of course dynamic compression has long been a part of the recording chain. The comment (I think) was about different masters being used for the CD vs the vinyl. As the person who built the music library at CityWalk Orlando, we...
Top Bottom