Recent content by Presently42

1. Presently42

Great recordings of classical music

How silly and annoying. I watched it a few weeks ago - and for me as well, it's blocked. Thankfully, vpns exist!
  2. Presently42

Great recordings of classical music

A most unexpected find - both the disc, and the person who knows of this! I found a few months ago a series of videos, Great Conductors of the Past. Here's the one in which Mengelberg appears, as he conducts the Concertgebouw in Paris:
  3. Presently42

New Beatles Song!

I thought I'd link the new Beatles song, which came out today: it's pretty good!
  4. Presently42

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Indisputable, you say? I wish to dispute. Period
  5. Presently42

XSA Labs Vanguard Speaker Review

Seems @amirm posted the spinorama twice, rather than the early reflections
  6. Presently42

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Just in case you're not aware, ProQ's Q values are not the same as those provided by oratory1990: oratory1990's must be equated to ProQ's with an annoying equation, dependant on frequency, bitrate and Q value: Qp = Qo*(2*π*(f/b))/sin(2*π*(f/b))*√(2) , where Qp is ProQ's Q value, Qo is...
  7. Presently42

You are quite right. I have indeed performed this experiment - and also found there to be not much difference in spatial effects. However, I did notice a fairly large difference when I removed the spatial effects bands from the HD800. I suspected (and still do, at least in part), that spatial...
  8. Presently42

Yes, the soundstage is absolutely affected. This effect is realised at around 7 - 9 kHz*. I simply leave the HD800 untouched in this crucial area. You can test this yourself: put in a fairly sharp peaking filter around 8 kHz, and play with the amplitude. Note how spatial effects are affected. Be...
  9. Presently42

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Pretty... uh... speaker. Yeah.
  10. Presently42

Let's talk about food!

From your description, you've made deliscious tahdig! Unfortunately, your links are utterly broken, and show up as a string of text.
  11. Presently42

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

Another fine review. @amirm, the Top 20 DAC graph has a typo in the company's name
  12. Presently42

Recommendations for Mid-20th Century and later classical composers

Shockingly, no-one has mentioned Benjamin Britten of War Requiem fame. I had the greatest pleasure to sing this moving work with the local symphonic orchestra. By the last performance, the final movement had me in such an emotive state, that I couldn't even see the notes on the page. Anyway...
  13. Presently42

Album of the Year

Before this thread gets sidetracked, let's discuss the current ideas: 1: A generic Album of the Year. How this is agreed upon has several different methods: 1.1: Free for all: we each pick one, and the number of upvotes wins; 1.1.1: A year-long free-for-all thread, in which...
Top Bottom