Recent content by Ponyboy

1. P

HHB CDR 850 Track Data Recording

Hi everyone, Hoping some CD recording folks are around. I recently found an HHB CDR 850. I'm new to standalone CD recording, and hoping someone can clarify something. My question is regarding the recording of track data from a digital source. The manual states that it's possible to...
  2. P

Production/Mixing/Mastering Sub-Forum?

Hi, I just mentioned this idea in another post so figured I would do the same here. Perhaps this doesn't fit quite within the spirit of the site but I think the potential could be significant. Many other sites cater to this topic (KVR/Gearspace) but I find them filled with a lot of audio myths...
  3. P

Hifiman planars for music production

In response to the original question: If you're talking about music production, find whatever headphone is comfortable with good performance (good being subjective of course, but there's lots to choose from that will fit the bill - Senn HD-6XX and many others). If you're talking about...
  4. P

Mastering/Mixing/Studio Use Headphone DSP Recommendations

Hi markanini, I’m prepping for another move shortly so my studio is mostly packed. I have a tentative location which will comprise either an unfinished basement or a medium sized bedroom. It may be the case that I’ll frame up a studio which would be nice I’ve been able to survive the last...
  5. P

Mastering/Mixing/Studio Use Headphone DSP Recommendations

Hi, I've recently had to relocate to temporary space where using studio monitors is not going to work. I'll be investing in some headphones (one closed back for general use, and another open-back for studio/mixing duties). Yes, I am aware of the argument for not mastering/mixing on headphones...
  6. P

Listen and choose the 8th generation digital copy.

I can't tell the difference on the Bob Marley. Maybe the Phil Woods B is the 8th gen. Cowboy 8th gen is A. Maybe with some more concentration, listening closely to specific elements, but I don't listen to music this way and these don't sound much different to me.
  7. P

AD/DA "Audiophile" Question

Ha! That's Scott. I'm Maki. I will check out that thread. I'm going to guess I will fail .
  8. P

Agree with some of this, (with cables being somewhat suspect, again back to the question of source, if I'm recording on cheap Amazon 1/4" TS, how are your silver interconnects giving you more on playback?). A lot of music production doesn't cross through an acoustic environment or involve a...
  9. P

Well keeping in mind I've always been indie, home studio, but on the mastering side, if vinyl is the destination, I will engage the services of a professional. I am often trying to make things a bit dirtier or coloured, but typically for me: 1. Electronic gear goes in through an interface to...
  10. P

Thanks for all the comments and for validating that I'm not too crazy. The pro-audio and hi-fi world feels quite different, as there always seemed to be this disconnect between what we are utilizing on the production side, vs what some of the hi-fi products claimed to be resolving. There are...
  11. P

Hi Everyone, I'm a music maker. I've been making electronic music for over 20 years. My first priority was usually musical instruments, outboard FX, audio interfaces and powered monitors. Over the years I've focused more on investing in gear that is used to listen to music rather than make it...
  12. P

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

I just took delivery of a pair of 8040s. They‘re great so far but still curious to see them measured. Build quality is fantastic on these as well.
  13. P

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

I'd love to see a review of the two-way driver Genelecs, specifically the 8040s in comparison to these.
  14. P

My DAC Died. What to Replace it With?

I don’t need balanced but I’d prefer that it’s there for actives. I’ve found a Teac UD-501 that just came up for a reasonable price. Considering the favorable opinions on it, I’m thinking to get this and source out the THX amp. Good point on the RME. The DSP, while it looks like great fun is...
  15. P

My DAC Died. What to Replace it With?

Sorry Frogmear, it was the RME ADI-2 DAC that I was considering, not the Pro. Although a week ago I would have called myself crazy for considering spending this much on a DAC (love the avatar btw. That’s the best film in the series for me). I have been eyeing a few of the dedicated headphone...
Top Bottom