Recent content by Pogre

1. Pogre

Help me decide: 7.1 today with future headroom, go with the Denon AVR-X4700H or X8500H

Yup, lol. One of the reasons I went with those speakers. Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Sierra Horizon center with the RAAL ribbon upgrade. https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/sierra-series-pairs/products/sierra-tower-pair?variant=21018797834294...
  2. Pogre

Did someone here pissed somebody so badly??

Lol. Surely you've been around here long enough to figure out there's a certain group of people posting here who vehemently disagree with the fact based objective approach and rail against the truths that are uncovered in Amir's reviews. I see angry posters here almost daily!
  3. Pogre

Help me decide: 7.1 today with future headroom, go with the Denon AVR-X4700H or X8500H

https://vtvamplifier.com/our-line-up/ That should give you an idea. Looks like you can get a complete, in its own chassis plug n play version of just about any combination of channels and power.
  4. Pogre

Yeah, I love my Monolith, but VTV and Buckeye amps weren't around when I got it. I could easily have been talked into going with one of those Hypex based amps and think they're very worthy of consideration. I likely would have gotten one myself instead of the Mono.
  5. Pogre

Are you a Subjectivist or an Objectivist?

Hard Subjectivist I'm assuming.
  6. Pogre

The root of audiophile myths (and how we fell for them)?

Of course it is. Magical explanations are sufficient to explain anything we don't understand. We've been doing it for eons. "I don't know", and "I was wrong" might be 2 of the most difficult sentences to for a person to utter. The problem with assuming we know the answer means we stop looking...
  7. Pogre

It rings true to me too. I think one of the hallmarks of someone who really understands something is that they are able to explain it in simpler easier to understand terms for the rest of us. Thats probably why Feynman said that anyone who says they understand quantum mechanics doesn't...
  8. Pogre

Absolutely. I got lucky and avoided a lot of pitfalls, but there's so much misinformation about audio out there it boggles my mind. It really does. I've been at this hobby level, including participating on various forums for several years now and I still see new stuff. Both educational and...
  9. Pogre

Rock music is Dead? (Spoiler: No)

I played drums for a long time so I definitely have a soft spot for drummers. One of the best of the best, and one of my all time favorite videos and performances, to your point, a very in shape Danny Carey, pushing 60, and absolutely killing it in this. That performance induces goosebumps...
  10. Pogre

Clipping & Underpowered Speakers

I suspected not. Not without some kind of admission from the customer. I s'pose if someone tries to claim warranty and the drivers are all melted it doesn't matter of it was clipping or not. They've clearly been abused. I think clipping is just the usual assumption.
  11. Pogre

Nah, the shelf rests on a metal frame so it's pretty sturdy. Just not 100+ lbs sturdy, lol. The center weighs a little over 40 lbs I believe. Those are Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbons and the matching Sierra Horizon center channel. I have Sierra 2s pulling surround duty.
  12. Pogre

Thought you might like that one. I'm not sure how established Bloodywood is. Looks like they just started out kinda messing around and have started putting some real songs together. I'll be keeping an eye on them. So I shared that Bad Omens video with a buddy of mine and he replied with one of...
  13. Pogre

Yeah, Dave is very adamant about having appropriate power to avoid clipping across the board now that I think about it. He specifies *unclipped peaks* with the power ratings for every single one of his speakers. To the point that if, and don't know how one could tell or if it's possible to even...
  14. Pogre

I know in a conversation I had with Dave Fabrikant about the RAAL ribbon tweeters that he thinks clipping definitely kills them fast. He warns against that above and beyond anything when talking about ways to damage them and stresses having appropriate power for desired spl. Now those are a...
  15. Pogre

Oh shit yeah! I'm really digging this! Thanks for the suggestion! I'll pay it forward. Here's a band I stumbled across watching a "metal bands from other countries" video and these guys really stood out and kicked some ass. It doesn't hurt that they sing in English too. They're really heavy...
Top Bottom