Recent content by Pluto

1. Pluto

Poll & discussion: UFOs / UAPs / Other Intelligent Life in Universe

All that need happen is for us to discover Life 2.0 on Mars, here or indeed anywhere and that discovery alone is likely to answer the single biggest question of all. And create a zillion new questions.
  2. Pluto

True. While you cite excellent references in defence of the relationship between size / metabolism / lifespan, don't forget the possibility that sufficiently high tech medicine may well, in due course, be able to make lifespans near-indefinite. Perhaps the worst kind of creatures humanity could...
  3. Pluto

Or not :p It's just too big a question, for now. I would speculate that the most important single factor in all this, for essentially philosophical reasons, is longevity of a species. I would postulate that anyone living in this universe is driven by what can be achieved within a lifetime...
  4. Pluto

Nonetheless, there may well be species out there for whom a five hundred year voyage is nothing more than a bit boring. The attraction of FTL travel is based on little more than our tiny lifespan. The longer-lived you are, the less the need for FTL travel.
  5. Pluto

Sixty years after the Drake Equation, we haven't really managed to solidify many more of those variables, certainly not the most tricky ones like… fi, fc & L
  6. Pluto

However, you should never neglect to consider the consequences of the final term of the Drake Equation, the one that factors the length of time throughout which a civilization remains contactable. Many mighty galactic empires may have risen and fallen since the universe began, but the chances of...
  7. Pluto

foobar2000 v1.6.6 final has been released

My hunch would be that the exclusive mode hardware buffer time is a tad on the low side at 100mS. I would try, say, 250mS (search within the advanced section to find the setting).
  8. Pluto

There is; in the output section you merely choose between devices marked [exclusive] and err… not. You had better ask someone who really understands the relative merits of push and event. @edechamps?
  9. Pluto

A couple of things to note with regard to Foobar's new defaults The default appears to be WASAPI shared (not exclusive, even in 1.6.7β) The default appears to be WASAPI push. It is generally recommended to use the event option (pull) when possible and to achieve this you have to select...
  10. Pluto

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

What worries me is that, up until about 200 years ago, few humans ever heard anything much louder than about 80dBA and, when they did, it was typically highly transient (a thunderclap, that kind of thing). Now people regularly and willingly subject their hearing to 95dBA++ Those golden ears...
  11. Pluto

$1 Million Cable Challenge

It is very difficult to PROVE that there is NO difference between this and that. So unless you are able to PROVE this likely (negative) outcome, no megabuck for you. Or something like that.
  12. Pluto

High-res audio comparison: Linn Records Free High Res Samples

While I hate to rain on your parade, were that true the insertion of a low pass filter at, say, 22kHz in such material would cause an audible change. If the existence of content that high in the spectrum is of any audible consequence, it is just as likely to be the result of intermodulation...
  13. Pluto

Hugely fascinating. Nowadays, we can make a (PCM) copy of an analogue recording that includes any and all artefacts up to a few hundred kHz, which probably safely covers any bias-related phenomena. But once you need to put an analogue copy of a tape into the evidential pot, I reckon a good...
  14. Pluto

Oooh… nostalgia :p If I remember rightly, the simple lack of a colour sub-carrier within the incoming signal 'told' the recorder that it was monochrome, at which the machine was supposed to switch off any of its colour processing circuits that could degrade the signal. The area that did...
  15. Pluto

Why Roon?

True, but Apple is of greater concern than most of the others because of its near-monopolistic position, particularly on account of its interests in both content and hardware and its attempts to create a mutual lock-in between its divisions.
Top Bottom