Recent content by Plcamp

1. Plcamp

Your loudspeakers are too small!

You seem to be deflecting me to study in depth something you’ve seen. But I am not interested in that. If you think that there is something both useful and different to the way that I defined it…ie something I have missed in my consideration (perhaps coming from your references), then that is...
  2. Plcamp

A Call For Humor!

“Sign” of the apocalypse? WTF?
  3. Plcamp

Master Thread: “Objectivism versus Subjectivism” debate and is there a middle ground?

My Dad told me that in 1920’s Ontario, nobody had a hockey puck…so horse turds dominated the sport.
  4. Plcamp

Worthy upgrade for stereo, from Yamaha RX-V3800?

As a data point, my Yamaha RXA3030 is fine driving many speakers I have had, but not for parallel (OB) woofers offering 3.6 ohm impedance at 110 hz…a separate power amp off it’s pre-outs was a big improvement, both measured and perceived. I use it as an hdmi preamp now.
  5. Plcamp

Why would you think that? My suggestion was simply that until it’s routinely testable, it will remain ambiguous and of less utility to discuss than it could be. Technically, I cannot imagine anything except linearity or signal to noise floor (under operating stress) could possibly contribute...
  6. Plcamp

Master Thread: “Objectivism versus Subjectivism” debate and is there a middle ground?

My opinion on that is “no”, there is however objective science that tells us preferences on average. Tests that are relevant are simply tests that, without which, you would lose fundamental (laws of physics) knowledge of what is happening. The best tests are the minimal set that does that.
  7. Plcamp

Heh, I expect that ‘microdynamics’ is not adequately defined, but maybe could be usefully defined as something testable, and until something like that is done, the discussion won’t be fruitful. I suggest that microdynamics could be defined to be the difference between a reference level of...
  8. Plcamp

Is it as simple as the fact that subjectivism evaluates individual preference, while objectivism targets accuracy? If you don’t seek the same answer, but are lured into thinking that you do…conflict is both inevitable and permanent.
  9. Plcamp

Crazy PA Coaxials for Hifi

I have often considered coax to replace 8” fullrange in my OB speakers. With two supporting 15” woofers, a 12”- 15” coax could operate with tiny excursion and match well. I got turned off of the idea by the messy response in the specs, and an apparently better approach to use an ~ 600 hz horn...
  10. Plcamp

How important is SNR sand THD?

I intuitively expect that noticeable distortion levels would be higher at the extremes of the hearable spectrum, and lower in the sensitive midband. Isn’t the distortion detectable by humans a widely varying level vs frequency, am I wrong, or do we not know?
  11. Plcamp

I've done my (GR) research and here's what I'm gettin'!

The system specified forgot the giant poster of Danny’s face. Placed between the LGK’s, it serves to remind you that the sound is faster because of floor spacers and tube connectors. You might forget otherwise.
  12. Plcamp

Should more emphasis be given to speaker (& driver) size in reviews + what is the ethos of this site?

Not sure the crude metaphor fully works…you can’t for example put a paper bag over the head of a speaker and expect as good a result?
  13. Plcamp

Should more emphasis be given to speaker (& driver) size in reviews + what is the ethos of this site?

I don’t know what to think about bass distortion (except that lower is better). I don’t believe -115 db SINAD defines bass transparency, but I would like to know what number does do that, and how far off that target the state of the art actually is. Has any research been done to define human...
  14. Plcamp

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

Yes indeed. Begs a question I have difficulty getting an answer to… If I restrict the discussion to 300 hz and lower, what is the SINAD level that achieves ‘transparency’? I understand the -115db for the full range, but everyone acknowledges low frequency distortion is harder to detect. Is...
  15. Plcamp

Anyone see this train wreck in Stereophile?

Seeing this review makes me feel much better about my past speaker efforts.
Top Bottom