Recent content by platimn

1. P

Nectar Hive Review (Electrostatic Headphones)

To be fair this headphone looks pretty good for an electrostatic. I think you can easily reconcile the fact that subjective impressions from the majority of customers were positive if not "ecstatic" for these cans despite resonances and brickwalls in EQ-ability at high SPL and whatnot with the...
  2. P

The Etymotic Target (R.I.P. Harman)

Interesting thread (Twitter): This confirms basically what is going on here: Harman is an analogue of the average HRTF of many individuals and in general people will prefer it because it conforms to their HRTF on average. That is the stuff happening mids and above. Bass is more subjective...
  3. P

Amp with headphone protection?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does this mean all Topping amp products have DC protection? I returned my A30 Pro because it failed and got a Monoprice THX but I may have another go at Topping since I'm paranoid about DC offset now. AFAIK only Monoprice's top o'the line Cavalli amps have DC...
  4. P

Kennerton Rognir Review (Closed Back Headphone)

Why do people send randomly modded stuff to Amir? It feels impolite to me. I guess you just want him to EQ the headphones for you? Of course why Amir wouldn't put a big disclaimer on it is also a question.
  5. P

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

I got this and used cheap XLR cables from Amazon with the adapters. If you are spending a hundred on DAC and hundreds on cables you probably call yourself an audiophile unironically. Now the question is how do you switch from USB to optical input? I don't see any buttons on this thing. Never...
  6. P

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Okay, thanks. I was wondering what that was, but I figured it was to prevent surges. Now I know. :)
  7. P

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Do these have an automatic shut off? I just received mine and it turned off by itself after a while when I wasn't looking. Now I am wondering if I have a power issue on the AC line.
  8. P

HBK Headphone Measurement Talks from Head-Fi and Sean Olive

Not to seem shrill... but there is really nobody who has an HE-1 Orpheus or is even interested in temporarily obtaining one in a professional capacity other than the paid or "sponsored" reviewers? The only real evidence that I can find of anyone owning one is a dealer claiming to be selling his...
  9. P

Recommend Headphones for Teenager

Get him something he can fold up like an ATH-M50 or HD280 like dfuller said with a durable or replaceable cable. At that age unless he is the particularly fastidious type he will appreciate being able to not worry about really taking care of his headphones and have them take up less space in his...
  10. P

Article on the Audeze Website - Headphone Amplification

Thanks. I don't really know how to interpret this, but where exactly is this from? Would it benefit to have a player or software that can categorize your library with this data in the background or on the fly? Or is most music compressed enough that it doesn't matter these days?
  11. P

Article on the Audeze Website - Headphone Amplification

Is there a way to actually analyze audio conveniently for dynamic range, transients, etc.? This is the track given in Audeze's example above: Does it actually have the aforementioned 50 dB above average transients? If it doesn't was Audeze lying or just giving an extremity of the range that...
  12. P

Speaking from personal experience I've nickel and dimed myself to the tune of several thousand on audio gear already, and I haven't even seen no less heard the veritable TOTL. It seems very feasible that some people are already nearing 6 figures on headphones and related gear alone (for speakers...
  13. P

Does nobody here or elsewhere have an Orpheus they could lend to Amir? It's surprising how few people in the audiophile sphere own one considering its relatively low price ($45,000) is nothing to scoff at but still attainable for people who will spend $4000-5000 on different TOTL flavors every...
  14. P

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

No, I have not. I actually don't see one with easy access. I just received the unit so I think I'll just give it back.
  15. P

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

My A30 Pro went dead today with the relay clicking. It's unfortunate because by all appearances this is a solid, well-finished unit. At least the relay protection means it didn't cause any kind of harm while I was out of the house when it must have failed. Now I kind of wish JDS Labs made a...
Top Bottom