Recent content by plancktheplank

1. P

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

I very often reach for the wrong knob, it's definitely an issue for me!
  2. P

Review and Measurements of Topping A30 and Schiit Magni 3 Headphone Amps

So this happened to my friend's Magni 3: Months ago, he began having intermittent signal cut-off on one of the channels on his Monoprice M1060. The severity increased over time until that channel stopped working eventually. The M1060 still worked perfectly through his motherboard audio jack so...
  3. P

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Yes, it is quite high according to HDVD 800's manual: I too have an HDVD 800 on the desk, but at least to the HD 800 driver the higher output impedance is not supposed to make a discernible difference (see output resistance section of this review). The same site didn't run this test on the HD 650.
  4. P

Review and Measurements of Audeze Deckard DAC and Amp

Indeed I had to handle it very carefully during my ownership of the amp. Since I stacked it on top of another amp I also had to be very careful when moving things around to avoid leaving a permanent scar on some of my equipment. That is my only experience with sharp edged audiophile equipment...
  5. P

Review and Measurements of Audeze Deckard DAC and Amp

Had this amplifier for a while and really liked it at the time. I guess if the issues are all inaudible then the rest of the picture can be filled in by my powerful placebo imagination :).
  6. P

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

What other toys do you sell at Dongles 'R US?
  7. P

JDS Labs - Subjective 3

I've previously tried software EQ and never seemed to have the patience to tune things to my liking. It's also not convenient to fire up the software EQ control to make small changes from track to track. Instead, I've been using a Schiit Loki 4-band EQ for a year with the MrSpeaker Aeon Flow...
  8. P

DSP - does it defeat the object of expensive analogue sources?

As a millennial, I wish I had access to a HiFi system at home! Since I'm a student living with relatives I just stick with headphones for now. I'm quite looking forward to moving out in a year or two, so I can begin the journey of building a living room system. Nothing too crazy in the...
  9. P

Thanks, great to hear! I see a couple of these coming up in the 2nd hand market every month or so, the wait begins :)
  10. P

Since the discussion is on the ADI-2, if I actually don't need the DSP capabilities, are there alternatives that are still at the performance level of the ADI-2 DAC at similar or lower prices? The requirements are build quality, longevity (none of those Topping bad heat sink mounting), and USB...
  11. P

Really appreciate your input. I don't use the speaker nor pre-amp output on the Ragnarok so those are non-issues. I'm confident that any channel imbalance would be inaudible, otherwise many would have been complaining by now. Selling the Ragnarok will get me one step closer to my dream Stax...
  12. P

Thank you for the comprehensive reply! The HPA4 is a bit over the top so I think I'll take my chances with the THX AAA. Worst comes to worst, another one of these appear on the 2nd hand market. Since the latest comments in the thread discuss inaudible differences between DACs, are there actual...
  13. P

Coming from a Schiit Ragnarok, with HD 800 as my main headphones, what should I expect from this amplifier? My first guess would be that the channel balance on the Ragnarok should be slightly better as it is discretely controlled via relays. I understand that measurements aren't directly...
Top Bottom