Recent content by pjn

1. P

Paris Audio Video Show 2022

Some very pretty toys - and well documented - thanks for posting
  2. P

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

That's incredibly useful. Thanks - I'm quite pleased with how I'm doing so far. My ears say "that sounds pretty good, across a variety of music types plus movie dialog", but the brain lies atrociously and it is good to get some measured data with REW - and compare it with what people who know...
  3. P

The first time I did a walk around at one of the room modes that REW showed up, I was most alarmed, but the audyssey correction seems to help but not eliminate it around the listening position. I like the bits of tape solution - as I say to a good friend "I think I need help!" . But it is all a...
  4. P

Bass nodes are a problem for me too, with or without the port plugs. I'm investigating a bit of acoustic treatment, but even so, the speakers sound extremely good. As you say, the speakers "disappear".
  5. P

Andrew Jones out at ELAC!

Those look interesting - 10 inch woofer and 46lbs? Not my idea of a bookshelf! I like the front baffle - although more rounding at the edges would probably be nice. Price seems OK
  6. P

This is probably not news to most on here - the LS50s do like a good bit of space around them and to be pointed at the listening area. Checked them using REW and various to-ins - best (flattest) response using three toe-ins was pointed directly at my head, in spite of what Kef says. Vocals...
  7. P

I spent most of an afternoon adjusting my LS50s and subs (2 x SB1000 Pro) using the PEQ on the subs and the Audyssey calibrations on a Denon 4700 - ended up using a crossover of 100Hz. I still have some annoying sharp room modes (I assume) based on REW at about 180 and 300Hz, but on listening...
  8. P

I wonder how they do that AND avoid the distortion at lower frequencies? It is basically the same speaker but with an amplifier with custom EQ - it can't change the physics!
  9. P

Hmmm... I always understood dynamic range to be from the lowest to the highest volume - so for a symphony orchestra it would be from a single instrument playing, say in a concerto, to the whole orchestra. For example, Mahler's 2nd symphony, which gets quite noisy. So if the speaker can't handle...
  10. P

I don't listen particularly loud - and crossing over to subs at 80Hz avoids the majority of distortion as the fairly small drivers struggle as clearly shown in Amir's review. I'm nowhere near 86db - most typically 60-65db.
  11. P

Absolutely incredible soundstage and dynamic range (particularly noticeable with a symphony orchestra) compared to an aging (and in need of a crossover rebuild) pair of Kef 104/2s. I am seriously astonished by the LS50meta crossed over at 80Hz to subs. To the extent that my center channel...
  12. P

TV Series Suggestion Please

That is a useful timeline - I was wondering about all that and whether I'd have to start digging through the books which I haven't read for a long time. Thanks! The mythology Tolkien constructed is so rich!
  13. P

TV Series Suggestion Please

Totally agree on the underwhelming start. I'm also a huge Tolkien fan - loved the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales - but this is a bit of "fan fiction" so in that regard I take as it is and let it skirt around "the truth". Not really much different from many film adaptations of books (although...
  14. P

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

External library attached to USB is probably the smart move - I find that having it on the same network as a shared volume is a little flaky
  15. P

Kef LS50 Meta - design breakdown by Dr Sebastien Degreave

Thanks for posting that - I just bought a pair of LS50 metas and I'm blown away by how good they sound for such a little box. That explains it!
Top Bottom