Recent content by pirad

1. pirad

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

Changing the "sound profile" with physical rolling of opamps is so oldschool... Give me an input board that offers DEQX's capabilities and add Dirac, Atmos, VST/AudioUnits ... Finish off with a bufferless DAC.
  2. pirad

ICE vs Hypex

I use Hypex n-cores for my amps. But I also got some icepowers 1200as/as2 . The sound quality in mids/highs is better on n-cores IMHO. The main difference is the spaciousness, 1200as fall flat here. Blind testing with my ususal suspect goldenears. I moved the Icepowers to bass/subs where they...
  3. pirad

Maty, Rod Elliott also wrote there: "For many applications, the use of balanced interconnects is simply not needed at all. In general, a home hi-fi needs balanced interconnects like a fish needs a bicycle, but someone, somewhere, decided that balanced connections 'sound better', but not because...
  4. pirad

Maty, To match the Purify amp you need to go transformers. 120dB can be achieved when impedances are within 0.0001% tolerances. InGenius resistor matching with laser trimming is only 0.005% and gets you meager 90dB CMRR. The pro world uses transformers. Obviously your equipment is in such a...
  5. pirad

Rather than worrying about buffers and CMRR, I'd much prefer to see an input DAC module feeding the Purifi amp directly.
  6. pirad

Balanced lines and high CMRR figures in a home environment with relatively short cables are really overrated. Just as Bruno wrote, 100 meters of a cable (or multiple cables) with a problematic source(s) is another story. This is typically a pro environment scenario though.
  7. pirad

Well, Bruno is a true engineer, once he admitted that NC1200 has the same "sonic signature" as NC500... Can't find any polar graphs for the driver on their website.
  8. pirad

Questions for Bruno: 1. Does Purifi amp sound better than NC500? 2. What is the Purifi driver dispersion?
  9. pirad

Class-D intermodulation noise from the switching? Really? 500kHz played by tweeters?
  10. pirad

Well, you changed your original post by deleting the vinyl cover and track DR figures. It leaves the response posts somewhat out in the left field.
  11. pirad

Hypex NC1200: Quality of the implementations

Anecdotal, but can be validated by others. I strongly encourage this simple test. Normally I would engage a couple of my usual suspect musicians and audio engineers and test blind. With buffers I never got to that stage. The underwhelming performances of designer buffers are so obvious that even...
  12. pirad

I am skeptical about vinyl rips having the detail necessary for resolution tests. Also the range of the test music must be wide: vocals, single instruments, percussion, chamber, orchestra, jazz... The crude "DR meter"is not really a metric how good a recording is. It simply compares peak and...
  13. pirad

Hypex NC1200: Quality of the implementations

I have conducted auditory tests with several buffers/opamps including the top/expensive SIL. None of them performed better with hypex NC500 than the standard 30$ hypex converter. Coloring of sound is one thing, a matter of taste. Resolution is not- either you can hear something clearly or not...
  14. pirad

My personal ranking of factors in SQ perception: brain/ears, room/loudspeakers, the recording, electronics, cables/fairy dust/etc. However, the quality of electronics reached a point where any progress is extremely diminishing in returns. I put money on solutions like FA122 to fight off...
Top Bottom