Recent content by pinpoint_oxford

1. pinpoint_oxford

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Yeah, I am happy about the updates. For a $700 DAC that didn't advertise itself on continuous updates (like the PS Audio DirectStream), I never anticipated any firmware updates. It's moves like this that will keep Denafrips in my mind for recommending to others and, if I ever need a new DAC...
  2. pinpoint_oxford

So I listened to a couple of tracks with good bass variety and then upgraded and listened again. The bass might sound a bit tighter and less worbly, but if there was a change it's really subtle. Either way, still sounds great to me!
  3. pinpoint_oxford

Who's to say? They don't publish the source code so there's no way to know what they actually changed.
  4. pinpoint_oxford

In the release notes it specifies they tweaked the bass: I will install it on mine tonight and see if I notice anything.
  5. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

Looks great! I absolutely agree with you about the bass. Honestly I was happy to get rid of my sub with these speakers.
  6. pinpoint_oxford

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

My streamer is just a PC I built with USB out to the DAC running Roon as an endpoint. I use my phone or laptop to do all the same things you describe. My comment was more that I would not want to have my phone tethered to my hi-fi to listen, that is what seems bananas to me. If it works for...
  7. pinpoint_oxford

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

The hidden secret is our brains and how we think something sounds :)
  8. pinpoint_oxford

Would an Apple TV do that? I don't use apple devices, so I wouldn't know. All my music is locally ripped flac or mp3 or Qobuz and just about everything supports that.
  9. pinpoint_oxford

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your setup! I am curious about your use of the iPhone like this. That would drive me bananas. You may be well served by getting a dedicated streamer to use with your Ares II.
  10. pinpoint_oxford

I'm not putting any evidence on my claims, so you are probably correct. That said, sometimes a placebo works, so maybe this technological placebo makes me enjoy the music more? I've also got a tube amp I'm not even going to pretend to defend, but I like it all the same.
  11. pinpoint_oxford

Curious to hear your thoughts! I moved from a topping d10s in my main system to the ares ii and enjoy it quite a bit! I think it sounds better, more alive maybe? I also like the R2R topology and the engineering behind it. It's very clear denafrips takes pride in their engineering work and...
  12. pinpoint_oxford

Denafrips Ares II - is it really worth it?

This is one of the reasons I bought my Ares II. It replaced my Topping d10s in my main system. Does it sound better? I don't know, I honestly haven't done an A/B. It does sound objectively excellent, so I'm keeping it. It also has things I like better about its literal design/appearance, and...
  13. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

The black backing is certainly plastic, but I honestly cannot tell if the whole frame is plastic or fiberboard. You can feel a rough outline on the inside cutout that feels more like fiberboard than plastic. The veneer is real from what I can tell, it looks and feels identical to the rest of...
  14. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

This is probably true, since the 75s supposedly have a better crossover and bi-amping as the only technical differences.
  15. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

Looks like they measure 15.25" x 25.25" (Please excuse my frame shadow in the last photo).
Top Bottom