Recent content by phoenixdogfan

1. P

Talk me out of buying an "audiophile" preamp - confirm/deny some myths/assumptions

Ultimately when you buy a component for its euphony, you wind up finding out it makes Johnny Rotten sound like Tony Bennett and Keith Richards sound like Chet Atkins.
  2. P

Talk me out of buying an "audiophile" preamp - confirm/deny some myths/assumptions

I looked and may have had them confused with some other upmarket Canadian brand possibly Sonic Frontiers? Seems to me they were in some trouble a few years back.
  3. P

Don’t stand so close to me

Or the song by The Police.
  4. P

Don’t stand so close to me

Along those same lines the GGNTKT M1s.
  5. P

Or why not buy an Octo 8 and get a great 8 channel DAC with individually controllable gain for each channel as well as a master volume with USB and AES/EBU inputs, with a decent headphone amp thrown in? Would undoubtedly cost less than one of those "preamps", and looks pretty "Rolexy" in terms...
  6. P

I think Ayre is going out of business as well. Wouldn't want to be holding on to one of these multi-kilobuck "Rolexes" from a defunct provider.
  7. P

Why aren't many solid-state based electrostatic amplifiers, specially for headphones?

IFI also makes something. Zeos uses it. Myself, I dunno, seems to me electrostatics are not worth the additional tariff, and the ridiculous cost of headphone energizer/amps.
  8. P

DIY Purifi Amp builds

So that the jumper would be on pins 2-3. I am beginning to think the SMPS is a DOA. It neither light up the LED for the front faceplate from Ghent which I connected to J5 with the Ghent supplied connector, nor the leds on the Purifi. Would it fail to illuminate both sets of those LEDs even if...
  9. P

Is COVID strategy moving towards herd-immunity?!

This type of "let both sides be heard" nihiism is being done by everyone from Tobacco companies, to carbon polluters, to proponents of "Intellligent design" to colloidal silver and hydrosulfanomide pushers, and now to herd immunity advocates. And you are 100 percnet right. It's just a...
  10. P

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Yes I am, and yes I did. I'm wondering if the SPMS could be bad. Any way you know to test for that. If I disconnected both wiring harnasses to the EVAL 1, would the SPMS still light up the Ghent LED powered out of J5? If I does not, does that indicate the SMPS is itself defective? And is it...
  11. P

Oh, and make sure after you contract it, to infect your wife, your children, your siblings and their families, your parents, and your grandparents. And do it without their knowledge or consent. Because that's what you are advocating for other people and their loved ones. And after you...
  12. P

Have you volunteered yourself, and your entire family to be infected with Covid 19? It would certainly be nice to see you're walking the walk, and not just talking the talk with other people's lives. And this kind of callous, casual, all-knowing moral depravity (we're just extending the 'old...
  13. P

DIY Purifi Amp builds

It's called the miniDSP SHD and has exis The jumpers are set to position 2-3. I will recheck the vaux connections which are on the six wire housing? Should not the led for the chassis which runs from J5 on the SMPS work even if the Vaux connections running to the purifi are not correct? In...
  14. P

GGNTKT Model M1

So what are we looking at for -3db in room response, Roland? And will it give that at 100db? And it it possible, since you have a Klippel, to do the in-room response curve?
Top Bottom