Recent content by Phineas Newborn Jr.

1. P

Distortion Listening Test

Interesting stuff, thank you. At first I didn't know what to listen for, once I reached a certain level.
  2. P

Who would you consider to be an Ethical Manufacturer in the Audio Business?

There are many-many thousands of current Ford automobiles sold in Germany and all over Europe. Ford is a major brand name there, and have been for decades.
  3. P

Magnepan Tweeter: Repair/Replace

Been married for over twenty years. Wife doesn't get involved with maintaining my stereo and I don't touch her dozens of plants, unless either of us asks another to help move things. Coincidentally, I, too, have Magnepan 3.6/R. I'm sure you'll keep them going again!
  4. P

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

That’s a very good example. I remember also being unhappy with being critiqued in a photography class, but afterwards I felt that critique I received from my classmates was essential to my progress, even the weak, unsubstantiated kind of critique. I read a story that a very old Giambologna...
  5. P

Well put! To illustrate a similar type: we play pickup soccer on our town’s school field, and have been for years. Yesterday a man approached and introduced himself as a president of some lacrosse association that, according to him had a contract with the town to use the field, that we shouldn’t...
  6. P

Wait, the owner of Tekton is THE Eric Alexander, world-famous tenor saxophonist? When I first watched Erin on YouTube this morning, I thought it was funny that the Tekton proprietor’s name sounded the same as Eric Alexander’s, whom I’ve heard many-many times in various clubs in New York in the...
  7. P

Most Pretentious High-End Audio Component Names

Does anyone beside me remember this one? AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player https://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/1103tjoeb/index.html
  8. P

Turntables - help me understand the appeal?

I don’t generally buy new audiophile lp reissues; nothing against them, I just don’t feel the visceral attraction, especially towards the 45 rpm craze. I do have a few of those gatefold Blue Note pressings. They are beautifully-produced. Oh yes, one PS: I never understood why anyone would pay...
  9. P

So I was going to order a Hagerman phono stage, then I saw this.

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/frycorder2-power-cord-burn-in-generator And this one - https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/break-in-devices/products/frybaby2-compact-burn-in-generator Is he just catering to psychopaths , or does he really believe such...
  10. P

I'll have one of the kids do it. Now that'll teach them!
  11. P

Ethan Winer Builds a Wire Null Tester

Were you playing this, by chance?
  12. P

FS: Oppo 205

Do you have photos of the unit? Where are you located?
  13. P

I hear you [no pun intended]. I will use the voltmeter, never thought of it, I just used the SPL meter from the RatShack and my iPhone.
  14. P

Good question. Yes, my preamp has the Input Trim function, where I can match volume output of almost every source to the tuner output. I do have to calibrate the output volumes of every source by ear for each value to be memorized by the preamp, but I do get pretty close.
  15. P

I don't know if it's what you'd call noise, it's just that they sound as different as two different sets of speakers. The new $100 offering has a better overall presentation of music, it's just better in every way you can conjure up.
Top Bottom