Recent content by philosobyte

1. P

New (2021) RME Fireface UCX II

I've been looking primarily into getting a Babyface Pro FS or a MOTU Ultralite mk5 amd both are listed with similar stock delays on B&H (August/September 2022). I'm not sure whether that's a coincidence or if it's related to both RME and MOTU making heavy use of ESS chips in their interfaces...
  2. P

Audeze Mobius Review (Gaming Headset)

I joined the Indiegogo campaign for these headphones during college. The only over-ear pair of headphones I had ever owned before hearing this was the Sony MDR-7506. Given my tinnitus and the treble spike in the MDR-7506, you can imagine how relieved I was at the Mobius having no issues with...
  3. P

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

How was he trying to parrot his subjective opinions as the truth or himself as an authority? He didn't invoke his reputation. He prefaced his subjective opinions with a title indicating that the following paragraph was for subjective thoughts, not objective thoughts. Unless I'm missing...
  4. P

I agree with this sentiment. Resolve had some posts in this thread - all of which seemed polite and constructive. Amirm's was far less so. And because of that, it's possible Resolve has been discouraged from contributing to this thread. Which would be a shame because I was interested in the...
  5. P

Is it theoretically possible to have a linearity test for headphones? Dynamics issues would show up there, right?
  6. P

Can aliasing be an issue before the Nyquist frequency?

Thanks, all. Now it makes sense that although it's technically possible for the Nyquist frequency itself to be problematic, anything even one hertz below that is fine. It tripped me up that digitized signals can look like they have extremely low (almost 0) amplitude and yet still be...
  7. P

Can aliasing be an issue before the Nyquist frequency?

The Nyquist frequency of 44,100 Hz is 22,050 Hz, as we know. Because of this, it's commonly said that 44.1 kHz files can reproduce signals up to ~22kHz accurately. But is this only true in the best-case scenario or is it true in all scenarios? Here are a couple images I've stolen from...
  8. P

MOTU M4 interest?

RCA 3 and 4 do not output the same audio as 1 and 2, but RCA 1 and 2 exist. I had balanced 1/4" outputs 1 and 2 going to my JBL LSR305, then I had RCA outputs 1 and 2 going to my Atom amp. Both 1/4" and RCA can output at the same time.
  9. P

MOTU M4 interest?

The Windows driver splits the Motu M4 into one output for channels 1-2 and one output for 3-4. Unfortunately, this is not the case for Mac OS, even after installing the driver Motu provides.
  10. P

Decent inexpensive (relatively) XLR cables

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Redco. Redco is a cable shop with an online custom cable configurator where you can choose the exact length, cable, and connector on each end. I typically use Canare cable with Neutrik connectors on both ends, but the custom length definitely came in handy when...
  11. P

JBL 705P / 708P

Add me to the list of people who haven't had issues with my pair of 705Ps. In addition, I guess it's as good a time as any to share my REW measurements at 1m. I have them at one end of a 15' x 30' living room/dining room area. The ceilings vault up from 9' to around 13', I think, and the...
  12. P

MOTU M4 interest?

I have the M4. I use its mic preamps to record grand piano with two small-diaphragm omnidirectional microphones. I have also used it with small-diaphragm and large-diaphragm cardioids for vocals. The preamps are significantly hotter than my old UR22, but I don't own any dynamic microphones to...
  13. P

Coronavirus Is Indiscriminate

Ah, I meant ventilator, not respirator. My bad. I suppose that I interpreted "treatment" to mean ways of directly fighting the infection, and there aren't any of those yet. I think was influenced by this article: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronaviruses, which includes statements such as...
  14. P

Coronavirus Is Indiscriminate

Not very useful. IIRC without antivirals, the most they can do is slap a respirator on you and hope for the best.
Top Bottom