Recent content by perdido34

1. P

Focal Clear Professional Review

I have had the original Focal Clears since they hit the market. The Professional is identical except for pad color and cabling, so any difference between this reviewed model and Amir's prior Clear review are attributable to unit variance. I have NEVER heard any clipping on loud bass (and I...
  2. P

Parasound 2125 V.2 Amplifier Review

I bought one on sale for $599 probably a year ago, and it is a noticeable improvement over the amp section of my Denon x4400h AVR--more headroom and clarity. And I am not playing it that loud with my B&W 704 speakers. So for $599, I'm happy with it.
  3. P

Carver M-1.5t Review (Vintage Amp)

Actually, yes, it does. Or at least mine does. I bought it new from an authorized dealer in the mid 1980s. Nobody has modified it. It was repaired and brought back to factory specs by Carver just before the company closed, but the power switch has always been there.
  4. P

Marantz SA-10 Review (SACD Player & DAC)

I haven't tried the headphone output from this Marantz player, but many of their less expensive disc players have a very decent headphone output. I use the headphone output on my Marantz CD-5004 player all the time with HD-600 headphones.
  5. P

Marantz SA-10 Review (SACD Player & DAC)

You can rip the Red Book layer from a hybrid (meaning one that has a Red Book layer) SACD--I've done it many times with my computer's optical disk drive.
  6. P

Octave Music Don Grusin High Resolution Music Analysis (Video)

I posted in response to someone who characterized the Octave Records releases as "typical audiophile stuff." I get the point, but the Bach suites are an exception. I have Starker's Mercury Bach cello suites on SACD. These were recorded in 3-channel, and yes, they do sound great. And they are...
  7. P

You can add multichannel support without using DSD. For example BIS is a classical label with a huge collection of material. They issue SACDs with multichannel layers, but many of them were recorded (often in great sound) as 24/44.1 or 24/96 PCM files. These files can be purchased and downloaded...
  8. P

The Octave Records recording of Zuill Bailey playing the Bach cello suites is a fine performance in great sound.
  9. P

I used an m1.0t, rated at 200 wpc, to drive a pair of Carver (original) Amazing Loudspeakers. These things had multiple large woofers, with scads of (somewhat wooly) bass. The amp could drive them at top volume all day long without breaking a sweat. I don't claim to understand electronic...
  10. P

The m1.0t has a power switch on the back.
  11. P

There were two challenges. The 1982 challenge used the m1.5t vs. Levinson, the second (1985) was m1.0t vs. Conrad-Johnson. Go to this page and scroll down to Harvey Rosenberg's letter: https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-challenge-responses
  12. P

Bob Carver was one of the designers on the PL400, by the way.
  13. P

The m1.5t was used in a 1982 "challenge" in Audio Critic. Carver claimed he could adjust the transfer function to match a pair of very expensive Mark Levinson amps, and the publisher agreed that he had accomplished this. To the satisfaction of some Stereophile writers, Carver succeeded at...
  14. P

Emotiva MC-1 Review (Home Theater Processor)

Denon and Marantz, at least, have no Audyssey circuitry or bass management in use when in pure/direct mode; thus there is no down-res of digital inputs in that situation.
  15. P

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

I wonder the same thing. Perhaps angled drivers and/or pads plus the distance of the drivers from the head make the difference. BTW I own K702's; I wish they had more bass, but I have no complaints about soundstage.
Top Bottom