Recent content by ouimetnick

1. O

A Visit to Genelec USA (Natick MA)

Not far from me. Didn't know they had USA HQ in Massachusetts. I've been to EarthWorks in NH though (They make microphones)
  2. O

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Can you take it apart? What chip are they using?
  3. O

Harman Kardon Omni Adapt+ Review (Streamer)

$200 and no AirPlay 2 support? What a shame.
  4. O

New multibit DAC coming from Schiit -

In fairness to Schiit, I’m not confident that a brand new $2500 Marantz or Denon piece of equipment will be working in 30 years either. With proprietary and next to impossible to source ICs, they aren’t really repairable like vintage Marantz gear is.
  5. O

Topping E30 DAC Review

If he wants to retest a newer one with Cirrus Logic CS8416, I’ll send him mine to test. @amirm can even chose black or silver.
  6. O

Topping E30 DAC Review

Any photos of the E30 PCB with the AKM receiver?
  7. O

Apple AirPods Max Review (Noise Cancelling Headphone)

Haven’t read through all 7 pages yet, but these headphones have an adaptive EQ that changes based on the source material. I tried them out and liked them. I should note that I have the AirPods Pro as well. I wear hearing aids so I take those out when using the AirPods Pro (the Pro stay in my...
  8. O

PSA If you have a 5v dac like the topping E30. How to get better power supply for cheap.

I have a bunch of those little Apple chargers (5 still in old boxes) I use one on my Schiit Modi 3+ and another on my Topping E30. Curious to know if they'd benefit from the larger 12W USB power adapter Apple bundles with iPad...
  9. O

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

Yikes. Didn’t know BASH (Bridged Amplifier Switching Hybrid) was still in use. Lots of subwoofers from the late 1990s-2010ish used BASH plate amps and had a high failure rate. Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, Polk, etc all used BASH plate amplifiers.
  10. O

What makes speakers "disappear " and can it be measured?

I also find that a properly recorded song to be very important as well. You can have the proper equipment and proper placement, but you still need a properly recorded track.
  11. O

Apple HomePod Review (Smart Speaker)

Sorry for the late reply. Are you referring to creating a 5.1 setup or something? I was unable to do that with my HomePods. I can only stream to multiple units. When setting up the stereo pair in the Home app (on iOS/iPadOS) you assign one HomePod to the left/right channel.
  12. O

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Schiit uses cheap poor feeling potentiometers on their gear. The pot in the SYS feels cheap and light. The motorized pot in the Saga+ is better, but neither compare to the friction and feel of say an Alps Blue Velvet potentiometer. I replaced the stock failing pot in my Hafler DH-101...
  13. O

Apple lossless official announcement

No. Apple had a job posting a while back for a native Apple Music on Windows solution (iTunes replacement)
  14. O

Are corroded monoprice banana plugs still good?

I bought those a few years ago. I replaced them with Amazon Basics ones. The amazon ones are insulated and better fitting and easier to install the wire. I tossed the Monoprice ones (some were still unused) in the trash.
  15. O

Topping E30 DAC Review

It should work in either mode. My unit is in preamp mode, and when the sample rate changes say I’m listening to a 44.1 and then a 48kHz and perhaps a 96 or 192kHz song, the display switches to show that sample rate for 3 seconds or so before going back to the volume level (dB)
Top Bottom