Recent content by OldUI11

1. O

Combined stereo/HT system advice

I'm planning to combine my current stereo set up with a 5.1 (and potentially 7.1 farher in future) surround sound set up. At present, I have a simple, good sounding system. The room is 5 metres by 4 metres. The stereo set up on the 5 metre wall. I know that normally it would be set up on the 4...
  2. O

Room set-up advice

Thanks for this too – another interesting read! I'm looking forward to starting on the project of getting the new room in order. The move is a few months away, but I'll report back once it's set up.
  3. O

Room set-up advice

Thanks for this. It's very helpful. I read the linked article. That's interesting. Between the thread linked above and this, I have a few ideas about what to try initially. I'll see how things sound with the current speakers and take some measurements.
  4. O

Room set-up advice

Thanks, Cote Dazur, I've been reading the thread with interest. I'm happy to hear that neither you (Ozzy) nor Cote Dazur think there is any reason to start with a change in kit. I am likely to buy a home theatre receiver at some point to enable a 3.2 set-up (and possibly home theatre in...
  5. O

Room set-up advice

I could use some advice in advance of a move in a few months. We're moving house, and I'm trying to think rationally about how to set up the stereo a bit in advance. At the new place, the stereo is going to go in a 4 metre x 5 metre room. The ceiling is fairly low compared to where I am now...
  6. O

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Basically the same for me. I added the 7050 subwoofer. There are of course better sub options, but this was very easy with the built in high-pass filter. I have a pair of tall bookshelves that the speakers sit on top of. Happily that puts them at the right height for listening. I use a tall desk...
  7. O

Preference rating: What score speaker do you use? What can you tolerate? Where do you start to deviate? Where can you hear until?

I'm curious about what the preference score represents. Is it the value of a function that takes numerical representations of various properties of a speaker as its arguments? That number, or rather the scale it is on, represents a preference ordering, at least for most listeners. Is that right...
  8. O

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

I recently acquited a set of 8030c speakers and have had a similar experience in a similar set-up. I use an SVS Micro 3000 sub, however. I need to do some more experimenting, but in the current set up it sounds pretty satisfying even without engaging the sub.
  9. O

Desktop/listening room setup question

@Hipper, I've truncated your remarks arbitrarily to save space. Please accept my sincere thanks for taking the time to write all this down. I greatly appreciate this and will make use of this advice in setting things up. I asked Genelec about how far to place the speakers from the wall in this...
  10. O

Thanks Astrozombie and KUF. I'm going to work with the kit I currently own for the time being. It doesn't cost anything to try.
  11. O

I've recently ordered a pair of Genelec 8030c speakers, which will arrive early next week. I own a SVS Micro 3000 sub. I'm now trying to think about room set up. I expect to listen about 1/2 the time with the sub and half without. The reason for this is that the sub will move between here and...
  12. O

Thoughts about speaker type for medium room

Great, and thanks to the others who recommend the Focals. Those I can audition locally. I live in Europe, and they are commonly stocked in hifi shops.
  13. O

Thanks for this, too. It is nice to see a concrete reference to an organ! I take it that they roll off at around 60hz?
  14. O

Thanks for this; it's very helpful. I appreciate the reference on dipoles. I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. I read the MBR reviews. Both the numbers and the subjective comments make them sound interesting, and the price is attractive. I'll look into them a bit more. And thank...
Top Bottom