Recent content by Old Listener

1. Old Listener

How important is imaging to you?

I don't care about soundstage and imaging unless they are distractingly wrong. I started with hi-fi gear before S&I became audiophile obsessions and never saw much point. I cared about the sound but not a substitute for a visual image of the performers. I attended lots of classical music...
  2. Old Listener

Any Korean/Asian movies/series fans?

I've been watching asian shows/movies for about 7 years now. My top of the list favorites: Korean 1% of Something Beauty Inside (TV show) Borg Mom Five Enough I am not a robot My ID is Gangnam Beauty My Love From the Star My wife is a gangster 3 (Taiwan/Hong Kong actress She Qi) Secret Garden...
  3. Old Listener

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

For Xmas dinner, 2006 Heitz Cellar Martha's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. We drank about half of the bottle and we'll drink the rest on New Year's Eve. The dinner of flank steak, roast potatoes, and parsnips was quite good in spite of a disaster in the kitchen. Plum pudding with hard sauce for...
  4. Old Listener

Let's stop calling Class D amplifiers "efficient" when they are not.

Do audiophiles benefit from cryogenic treatment? I often think "cool it" when I read rants by audiophiles.
  5. Old Listener

macOS vs. Windows vs. Linux

You seem very worked up about this. While I'd rather spend less to get an adequate amount of Ram and SSD space, I view Apple's pricing in a different way. The entry level M1 Mac Mini has been priced low to attract consumer's attention. The one I wanted requires a $ 200 Ram upgrade and a $ 400...
  6. Old Listener

People like me also use Macs. I used Windows on PCs from ~1990 until a couple of years ago. Then I had enough of the W10 updates by force and the problems they caused. My 6th gen. NUCs (tiny desktop PCs) were getting flaky. Life with the M1 Mini has been blissful. I never hear the fan and...
  7. Old Listener

Painful cramps. You can't use it while it'd being charged.
  8. Old Listener

Microsoft sculpt comfort mouse - bluetooth
  9. Old Listener

Embracing Simplicity in Audio: Anyone Else Skipping Room Correction, Measurement Microphones, and the Like?

Excellent post. So much of the discussion in this thread has focussed on "DSP" as descriptive of the entire subject. Your post illustrates the role of measurement so that you learn about your room and the speakers/subs you have. First you learned and then you considered methods to improve...
  10. Old Listener

Embracing Simplicity in Audio: Anyone Else Skipping Room Correction, Measurement Microphones, and the Like?

I think this statement is a bit too general. My opinion:Near field listening can't substantially reduce the effects of room modes. Above those low frequencies, it can reduce room influences. Just how much depends to the geometry of the listening room and the position of speakers and...
  11. Old Listener

Spinorama Data is Not Available for Dynaudio LYD 48. LYD 5 Has a High Preference Score But Was Not Recommended by Amir. Are the 48'S Good Monitors?

I've used LYD48s in my main system for about 5 years. They are along the long wall in a 15' by 21' room which has mostly filled bookshelves on 3 walls. The LYDs are about 18" from the wall behind them. I sit about 9 feet from the speakers with a bookshelf 2 feet behind my chair. My previous...
  12. Old Listener

Media player for Mac

I've used jRiver since spring 2006 on Windows until ~2 years ago and on Mac m1s since then. And some time using a jRiver ID (packaged h/w, Linux and JRiver on an Intel NUC.). My music collection is mostly classical music and other genres where both composer and performer are important for...
  13. Old Listener

Audio stutters with USB Dacs on Macbook M1 Pro

Thank you the helpful advice. An AV scan found no malware. The websites I described had ads that were part of the designed web pages. They weren't popup ads. When I closed all the tabs showing pages with lots of ads including videos, CPU and memory use seems normal. I have changed the...
Top Bottom