Recent content by Oklei

1. Oklei

Mastered CDs vs 44/16 FLAC Downloads

I think you're right with this one. But I don't understand why Warner is sending two different sets of 44/16 files of the same new album to the online seller and to the replicator factory.
  2. Oklei

They are subsample aligned: Do you think they provide master files for every sold resolution or do they just provide a master file for the maximum (for example 96/24) and each seller does the downsampling to the bought format at his own? This would explain the changes in the upper frequency...
  3. Oklei

I always wondered if I get the same mastered version when I buy 44.1/16 FLAC files or a CD. Are these files in fact ripped CDs? To find out I bought the new Avenged Sevenfold album twice (totally worth it :cool:). The 44.1/16 FLAC @ 7digital and the CD via Amazon. The CD was then accurately...
  4. Oklei

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Afaik there is no ESS IMD hump in the 9028 series (like 9028pro or 9028q2m). ESS 'invented' that with the 9038 series. Nevertheless I measured IM TDN vs signal level for the ADI-2 ESS and no hump can be observed. I'm not at my laptop atm but can post the graphs later..
  5. Oklei

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Is the volume setting linear or logarithmic? In the past I had problems with devices like smsl m500 when using them as a preamp. The usable volume range was only from 1-12 and therefore the volume couldn't be set precisely. This could be solved with XLR attenuators but I would prefer a...
  6. Oklei

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

A praise of auto-ref Most dac measurements are made at or nearby 0dB. For users like me who use the internal preamp function it's more interesting how the dac-preamp-combo performs at everyday volume settings. This depends on your power-amp and speaker efficiency but in my case in most DACs...
  7. Oklei

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

I am not 1000% sure about that. I thought it was enough if the two channels played differently with differently also meaning that one channel doesn't play at all. But to be sure I just tested the device with 1000 Hz on the left channel and 1333 Hz on the right channel. Here is the combined...
  8. Oklei

I received my M500 back from Audiophonics today and did a quick measurement. Attached you find the fft graph for left only and right only. As you can clearly see, the 3rd harmonics bug is completely resolved. Thanks again @Audiophonics and @SMSL-Mandy for fixing this! Bugs do happen and may...
  9. Oklei

I had to pay one way too. They got it 08/02 and sent it back 08/05. With shipping time it lasted 14 days. I will measure it tonight and post the results here. I am grateful that audiophonics managed the update so flawlessly and I didn't had to ship it back to China.
  10. Oklei

Why DAC filter tests always use illegal square waves for impulse response?

I find this a bit misleading as one would compare the filter output to the entered square wave and is seeing all the ringing. But that ideal input square wave has unlimited bandwidth and could never be in a proper recorded anti aliased music file. The same argument would also apply for a Dirac...
  11. Oklei

Attached is an example from http://nihtila.com/2019/10/18/dac-digital-filters-part-2-deeper-dive-into-ak4490-and-ak4493-filters/
  12. Oklei

On time domain dac filter tests here and pretty much everywhere else the response is always shown with an squarewave that has more bandwidth than possibly could be in a real recorded digital signal. During adc or while downsampling to 44.1khz higher frequencies have to be filtered out to prevent...
  13. Oklei

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

In my misleading post I already stated that the Arcam might be loud enough with the 2V the Okto will provide on Arcam's RCA inputs. This always depends on what's actually needed. But now I'm more than just a bit curious: If you're right and 2V drive the Arcam to full power and it starts clipping...
  14. Oklei

The maximum input of the A39 is 4.6V. You would need a xlr to rca cable because the okto only has xlr out. With this cable the okto would give you around 2.1V on rca, so you won't be able to drive the A39 to maximum input but it might be already loud enough. You can opt for custom voltage 9V if...
  15. Oklei

Mine (black, custom voltage, raspi, no remote) was #206 and I already got it, so yours should ship soon.
Top Bottom