Recent content by Oilman

1. O

Using REW to set delays - timing reference vs x-over null

What is the recommended practice to set home theater channel distances (delays)? I have used two different methods: 1. Invert sub polarity, use REW to play sine wave at crossover frequency, adjust sub volume and phase knob to produce greatest cancellation (lowest level) with left speaker...
  2. O

Center channel for Home Theater

Why? Have you tried it? If I understand your interests and your reviewing role at Stereophile, you’re not really a home theater guy. Correct me if I’m wrong. For a multichannel music optimized system with identical L/C/R, I agree with you. For those of us with home theater, with a...
  3. O

Center channel for Home Theater

Many AV processors have “center spread” which combines the center channel with some of the center channel mixed into the front L and R. Best of both worlds and sounds best IMO.
  4. O

Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1

Where are you hearing that? There hasn’t been any published testing on the MP50/MP60, so we really don’t know.
  5. O

Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1

Burr brown 1796
  6. O

Is the Benchmark AHB2, in mono mode, really better than my Mark Levinson No. 536 monoblocks?

I replaced mono Parasound JC-1s with mono AHB2. I didn’t blind test the amps, but my subjective, sighted, and biased impression is that the AHB2s sound better and are my end game amps. Compared to the JC-1s, I hear into the room more (the reverb of the space). I was warned that the Benchmarks...
  7. O

Subwoofers make all big speakers obsolete?

IMO - Subwoofers don’t make large speakers obsolete. For example, larger speakers can have advantages in higher output within lower distortion, due to larger or more drivers, and typically have 3-way/4-way designs that have mid-bass/bass drivers working more in their optimal range, which...
  8. O

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

So true Kal. It’s the Pre90’s single, annoying flaw. Any idea on the cause - is it a wimpy remote IR diode, or perhaps Topping recessed the IR receiver too far into the case? If the former, perhaps a stronger universal remote should fix, if the latter, would need an IR repeater.
  9. O

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

I do this using a Pre90, D90SE, and Lyngdorf MP50. Though I haven’t bothered to learn if the remote can do the input switching.
  10. O

Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1

What is your setup? A TV or projector? I currently own both. On an Epson 6050 and 135” screen it’s a massive difference. If it weren’t for Apple TV+ I would have already ditched the Apple TV.
  11. O

Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1

Except that it lacks the wonderful AI upscaling you get with the Shield Pro.
Top Bottom