Recent content by Obelisk

1. Obelisk

Do power conditioners matter?

As mentioned in a previous post, please do not rely on line conditioners for surge suppression. While this article mentions UPS devices, it is equally applicable to line conditioners.
  2. Obelisk

As Waxx has mentioned, anything between the wall outlet and a device needs to accommodate the peak current draw requirements of the device. In the case of my Parasound amplifier, it is designed to draw no more than 1,000 watts of AC, but its power supply features big and heavy transformers to...
  3. Obelisk

Unfortunately the product website doesn't give a lot of specifications. I would just consider this to be a fancy looking power strip, and would not have confidence in it's surge suppression or filtering capability. Maybe look at one of these APC units?
  4. Obelisk

Two true stories: 1995: Office with a number of desktop PCs and an HP LaserJet 4 laser printer sharing the same AC circuit. During the middle of the business day, when someone started printed, invariably one of the nearby PCs would lockup or spontaneously reboot. We purchased APC 1,250 watt...
  5. Obelisk

[bug] HDMI 2.1 chip (Panasonic Solutions)

Have you seen this chart? https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new It not unusual to need to transcode for better performance. What editing software are you using? Some tools/versions do not support GPU decode for playback. For example, the free version of...
  6. Obelisk

I'm not sure "a lot more affordable" is quite realistic. An RTX 3080 is still US$699, excluding the rest of the computer, whereas an XBOX Series X is US$499. Consoles are still the best way to consume UHD Bluray content, so I would expect console compatibility is a high priority for AV Receiver...
  7. Obelisk

Short answer: Nvidia's 7th generation NVENC (20 and 30-series GPUs) and PureVideo VP10 and VP11 (20 & 30-series respectively) are both far more capable and better quality than AMD's Radeon RX 6000 series video encode/decode offering. Doesn't OBS process everything as 4:4:4, so if you bring your...
  8. Obelisk

10-bit audio? Can you clarify what this is referring to? I'm not sure "processing power" is the correct term when discussing consoles/video cards and HDMI connections. The video interface bandwidth of an Nvidia RTX 3070 and RTX 3090 are exactly the same; "processing power" doesn't come into...
  9. Obelisk

Denon AVR-X4700H HDMI and Multichannel audio testing

A response from Denon Technical Support regarding 1440P and VRR: "The receiver does not support the 1440p resolution. The X4700H supports VRR pass through as it's a spec of the 2.1 board. More than likely, the Samsung's EDID is not negotiating properly with the Xbox One X when going through an...
  10. Obelisk

It's interesting to see the that the Denon AVR power plug doesn't have a ground pin. I am wondering if it would help to use the AVR Phono ground connector to bond the AVR to the PC chassis? Or would something blow up?
  11. Obelisk

I have opened a ticket with Denon regarding the lack of 1440P and Variable Refresh Rate options with an XBOX. No 1440p resolution option: No VRR option. (The darker boxes show currently unavailable settings: VRR, 3D, Dolby Vision)
  12. Obelisk

Have had a Denon AVR-X4700H (as a preamp) for a bit over a week now and have the following observations. HDMI video mode testing through the AVR-X4700H 8K input (display is a Samsung 75" Q70, Capable of 4K 60Hz, 2560x1440 120Hz, VRR - no eARC): 2560 x 1440 (1440P) input is only supported at...
  13. Obelisk

AV Pre-Pro and bi-amping

Perhaps if one looks at it from the perspective of speaker distortion?
  14. Obelisk

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Edited this message for clarity. Streaming audio capabilities - Denon AVR-X4700H manual, page 317: HDMI audio input capabilities - Denon AVR-X4700H manual, page 317: For playback of multi-channel FLAC files, using foobar2000 software and a PC's HDMI (linear PCM) output is likely the best...
  15. Obelisk

AV Pre-Pro and bi-amping

Is something like a dbx 223xs considered an acceptable option or a miniDSP 2x4 HD?
Top Bottom