Recent content by o7_brother

1. o7_brother

Digital Processing in Active Loudspeakers

If it doesn't affect speaker measurements, then it doesn't affect speaker measurements. See Genelec 8341 review.
  2. o7_brother

Recommendation: Putting together a new desktop audio system

Because that kind of Stax headphones does not seal well on a measurement rig, but may seal better on an actual fleshy human head. See the two graphs he made for the 404 Limited. First one is just the headphones sitting on his measurement rig, the second one is the same but with more pressure...
  3. o7_brother

Ah, Grado. The company who takes pride in not measuring anything because it "doesn't want some machine telling us what good sound is". Regardless, they sell every headphone they make, so they are doing pretty well for themselves.
  4. o7_brother

That's like saying any speaker can have whatever bass extension you want just by EQ'ing it up. Have you tried this yourself? I do not trust RTing's distortion measurements, seems way too low in the bass compared to these...
  5. o7_brother

He means the Drop (formerly Massdrop) HE-4XX, which is a slightly different version of the 400i for a bit cheaper I think. I would also call it a worse Sundara for Cheaper. If you're really short on cash, an amp plus motherboard DAC would do the trick yes. You don't need more than a 100 USD...
  6. o7_brother

Grado headphones almost invariably lack sub-bass extension because of how poorly the ear pads seal on the sides of the head. For this reason, they cannot be EQ'd effectively in the bass. I would not recommend Grado in general because of this; no matter what you think of their other aspects, the...
  7. o7_brother

For EQ software, EqualizerAPO and PeaceGUI are my favorites. For a headphone in the 400 USD range, I'd recommend the Hifiman Sundara, since I consider it to be one of the top performers with a bit of EQ in that range. I would recommend a Schiit Magni Heresy amp and Modi 3 DAC, or the...
  8. o7_brother

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

Sub placement is more complicated and depends on your room, but for the monitors themselves, Genelec recommends the equilateral triangle method: the distance between the speakers should be the same as the distance from each speaker to your head...
  9. o7_brother

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Presently, I haven't tested the A90 with anything special or hard to drive, just my AKG K371 and Etymotic ER2XR. I have not noticed any sound quality difference between the ADI-2's amp and the A90. The ADI-2's amplifier is more than powerful enough for 99% of headphones out there, however I'm...
  10. o7_brother

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Got my A90 mere moments ago, so I have not tested all the features yet. Looks and feels pretty sexy. I was surprised by how small it was, only a little deeper than the ADI-2 DAC. However, I wanted to report that my unit has a minor problem with the volume pot. It does not attenuate all the way...
  11. o7_brother

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

@MC_RME Hello, do you happen to know the exact setting for 4 Vrms output via the XLR outs? In the manual it only explicitly states the level for 2 Vrms via RCA, unless I missed something. Thanks!
  12. o7_brother

Best Option for HD6XX: Archel 2.5 Pro, L30, or THX AAA 887

All of them will be equally "overkill". I'd go for L30 because cheap and good features.
  13. o7_brother

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

No real differences would be found in a blind test between those amps, with the possible exception of the Magnius' SE output.
  14. o7_brother

But this very reviews says 762 mW for the Magnius, so that can't be right? From the 300 ohm graph in this review, the order from least to most powerful is clearly 789 -> Magnius -> A90. Looks to me like like roughly 500, 800 (762), and 900 mW respectively, just from looking at the clipping points.
  15. o7_brother

I did, that info is not in those reviews.
Top Bottom