Recent content by nurmdog

1. nurmdog

Simple test of Dayton Audio MK442T 4" 2-Way Transmission Line Tower Speaker Pair

So let me get back to the spikes, it was a problem. I just recalled that those first graphs were with my first microphone. I made an RMA and it took MONTHS to get a new microphone. With the new mic I made new measurements and they looked better. The next step was I allowed Audessy to run on...
  2. nurmdog

Simple test of Dayton Audio MK442T 4" 2-Way Transmission Line Tower Speaker Pair

i see your point but I’m no convinced. My liking a transmission line is based on my ears , not a belief that the technology is better. I’ve made 3 transmission line speakers , purchased one, and extensively listened to others in a store. It isn’t perfect, no speakers are, I just think the bass...
  3. nurmdog

I don’t agree with that entirely. The transmission line has a larger and longer port than a ported speaker. The waves travel longer and have less back pressure. Transmission line, ported, and sealed all sound different and “best” is a matter of opinion. For subs I like sealed best, for...
  4. nurmdog

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Kat Edmonson, she's been around a while now, from Texas and now lives in New York. She has some original music and covers other songs. From an interview with her "Many artists bristle at the prospect of being categorized. Aware of the unique position she occupies in today’s popular music...
  5. nurmdog

Are you a Subjectivist or an Objectivist?

Thanks, after reading your response I realized that my thought process here came from someone teaching me this years ago. I’ve been thinking about this since others have posted similar responses. The one two things along the path, vastly different, is speakers, and the room as you said...
  6. nurmdog

A good friend of mine of mine who is an “audiophile” too has a saying. Audiophiles will buy a $50,000 plus complete system. They claim if you touch tone, bass, or treble knobs it’s blasphemous. They are happy to try many $1000 cables and say which one is best. In reality they are using cables as...
  7. nurmdog

One other point several people brought up. The closer you get to the source of the sound the more important the gear. Source, the media, (phono, CD, stream, etc.) is the most impact to the quality. The preamp / receiver / DAC is next. Speakers last. And then there is cables, my biggest...
  8. nurmdog

I have been working in IT for 40 years and spent much of that working with voice and video in the Enterprise. I have spent time with voice quality measurement (phone calls and video conferencing) of objective and subjective types both. I have spent quite a bit of time logically testing systems...
  9. nurmdog

All 3 in a graph I should point out Dayton went with a non traditional crossover, here is their description. Being that the tweeter is mostly from 3k up that is the part that should change the most, I would think. EDIT: also important, the left speaker was used for stock. The right was used...
  10. nurmdog

Now that I have basics down and REW working I did a quick comparison of my current project, a pair of Dayton Audio MK442T 4" 2-Way Transmission Line Tower Speakers. I purchased these on sale and got a coupon, of course. I typically use a pair of KEF R3 speakers in mahogany that I absolutely...
  11. nurmdog

DIY Speaker measurement

So I tried pink noise, periodic and random, no change. I tried putting it on a pillow rather than my desk, no change. I used the RTA tool in a silent room, no change, those spikes were still there. I moved the USB cable from the eGPU I have (it's connected with tbolt4) to be directly connected...
  12. nurmdog

DIY Speaker measurement

Thanks fluid, I watched the video and followed directions. I was making one mistake, being silly, I was pointing the omni mic as if it was a shotgun mic. I ran measurements again with the mic pointing up and it now has less of those 2k harmonics but it's still there. I Tried 44k and 48k...
  13. nurmdog

DIY Speaker measurement

So I have REW running on MAC OS, the umm-6, and I believe I have correctly put in the calibration txt file. I am running Measure and with three different speakers am I getting a pretty big spike at 2khz and harmonics of that frequency. It's kinda ugly. I am assuming I missed something ? Any...
  14. nurmdog

DIY Speaker measurement

Thanks guys, parts express had the umm-6 on sale for $70 and I purchased some tweeters I wanted, and threw in a $10 off coupon, so it was considerably cheaper than the mini dsp. Going to give this a go with the USB mic, I'm excited to see some results.
  15. nurmdog

DIY Speaker measurement

Thank you for clarifying
Top Bottom