Recent content by nrabbit

1. N

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

At least there is the off switch on the back so it's at least manageable. I replaced my DX3 pro with the d30p/a30p stack. My DX3 pro had the standby issue but it would only happen about once every two months. Definitely feel ya on quality issues.
  2. N

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

My a30 pro seems to be making what sounds like coil whine coming from unit? Happens only powered off. Goes away when turning off the rear power switch. Tried unplugging all inputs / outputs and it still happens. Also tried a different outlet and a cold start. No audible noise out of any speaker...
  3. N

Reference Quality Electronic Music

deadmau5 released a 80mb wav version of his track eborts for free. Stunningly clear master and uncompressed. Great bass track and one of my favorite reference tracks. his original DL link expired but there's a new dropbox one...
  4. N

DIY Project to assemble TPA 3255 4 ch boards

You will still run in to the secondary issue: "Beat Interference or Beat Tones are audible tones that occur when slightly misaligned switching frequencies interact to create another frequency" Since they aren't on the same clock (sync'd) they can interfere with one and another.
  5. N

DIY Project to assemble TPA 3255 4 ch boards

Neither of those look to have a "sync" header. Running 8 channel with unsynced amps can cause interference and power droop.. see https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa787/slaa787.pdf?ts=1599252566997
  6. N

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

See post #7 from maty in this thread. That was a pre-PFFB early testing board. That was at 6 ohms, .01 THD + N. I think a later sample hit .007% THD + N without PFFB enabled in to 3.3 ohms. I noticed that you guys cite THD+N < 0.01%, 0.3W – 200W, 4Ω but your AP THD graph shows hitting .02% THD...
  7. N

Looks like Aiyima uses a 50v 1000uF nichicon cap so you are right at the limit
  8. N

If you're looking for cheaper options there are tons scattered throughout this thread. As far as "better" I don't think anything under $1000 comes near this as far as THD performance. The 3e TPA3255 amp is great if you're looking for a bargain ($60) that still measures somewhat well (.01%THD)...
  9. N

Some members of the diyaudio forum made a tpa3255 based off the TI EVM to optimize noise and THD performance. I missed out on the group buy for a pre-assembled board so I bought a PCB and hand soldered it. This is a upgraded version of the board that maty posted in post #7 (now includes post...
  10. N

I'm running mine at 53.5 for my elac DBR 62s. They certainly like the extra juice. Obviously takes some rather giant 63v nichicon caps. (don't mind the cardboard.. it's just there to provide some ventilation.. only runs vaguely warm to the touch!)
  11. N

Higher voltage also improves THD+N on the TPA3255. TI suggests running it as high as 53.5v if you have >=6 ohm speakers.. although as you pointed out most of the cheap caps on these amps won't allow this. ref page 10 https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3255.pdf?ts=1597881502646
  12. N

Feedback on "quick review" process

If anything I think reviews should be longer. People are still debating all over the place whether DACs have sound signatures or about double blind testing of amps. It would be great if we could get a set of measurements which comprehensively describe how something sounds. By making mini reviews...
  13. N

About RCA cables (again...)

The amazonbasics cables are almost all aluminum with 1 strand of copper in the middle. Probably doesn't matter since it only has to handle two volts. The only connectors I've bought recently that I really like have Neutrik made connectors. They don't feel like they are going to rip the RCA...
  14. N

Cheapish gear to measure DAC or amp performance

I was going to suggest a focusrite scarlett solo for about $250 but the motu m2 looks like it has better specs for cheaper. Here's an example of the focusrite: see: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/338511-howto-distortion-measurements-rew.html
  15. N

Cheap high (4v+) Vrms DAC?

This is a great idea / probably the best option as I need volume control too. I didn't realize there was a standard for single-ended line output. It makes a lot of sense now that there seems to be a correlation between having xlr outs and 4vrms.
Top Bottom