Recent content by nothingman

1. N

ifi Zen Phono Review (phono stage)

I think that means you measured your stylus-in-groove noise floor for this particular record. It doesn’t tell us what a vinyl pop looks like. Recorded at your seating position means we’re up against the performance of your whole audio chain and room. I think this is something that would really...
  2. N

Just putting these measurements out there which I found recently: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2571:ifi-audio-zen-phono-preamplifier-measurements&catid=414&Itemid=547 The 1kHz FFT show a similar pattern of noise dominance and very little to...
  3. N

Indeed. For example, with the Zen we see it has more headroom at 1, 5, and 10khz than the Mani 2, and it’s only at 15 and 20khz where it’s worse. But without an idea of which frequencies are most impacted by clicks and pops, and how much of a burst in mV to expect from our cartridges when they...
  4. N

Thankful for this test, @amirm ! Agree with others that it’d be helpful to see the other gain settings tested, but I get that doing the full battery would mean quadrupaling the work and that’s a lot. Question, on the last graph, the headroom test at different frequencies, what sort of minimum...
  5. N

Grimani Systems Rixos-L Review (Active DSP Speaker)

Yes, exactly. I was going to say, at this level (and it doesn’t really get any higher), previous clients who are open to the idea are asked to host demos from time to time to show new clients exactly what a full scale project will look and sound like. The owner of the ”demo” system can either be...
  6. N

Grimani Systems Rixos-L Review (Active DSP Speaker)

Allow me to stress that one (pretty damn great for its purpose) speaker doesn’t tell the whole story here. Anthony Grimani comes in and designs the whole room acoustically (then built by a trusted construction/installer partner), specs a full array of active speakers, processors, and multiple...
  7. N

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

And now there’s a “June 8” revision that arrived to me today, June 12. Personally I don’t mind a couple days of delay for roll out but that’s totally different than being stuck several months behind.
  8. N

Go to the main settings page (as opposed to device settings) select “feedback” and send them a message asking for the update to be pushed to your device. I’d probably send their regular customer service an email too but the feedback form helps them identify your specific device on their network...
  9. N

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

We’re almost talking past each other here, because we both totally agree that DSP allows for all sorts of things to happen that otherwise couldn‘t. What it sounded like to me was that you were saying the LF roll off behavior, specifically the compression, is all part of the KEF “iBX” magic. It...
  10. N

Call me crazy but that sounds like marketing. The speaker can’t produce ultra loud bass, so they use DSP to iron out as much distortion as they can and otherwise limit the total output. No different than the KC62 which shares the DNA. They don’t introduce DSP-controlled dynamics on the KC62...
  11. N

While perhaps more severely controlled by DSP in this case, isn’t the non-linear low frequency extension we see in the KEF graph just your basic dynamic compression, as seen in most speakers and in tests like Erin’s? A lot of speakers he has tested drop off linear as early as the bump from 76db...
  12. N

Gotta hand it to @WiiM Support they are releasing these fixes and new features in rapid succession. Really nice to see them put so much effort into making this little streamer the best it can be as quickly as they can.
  13. N

Totally agree. It’s a five star product at its price point and knocking it for not having a niche service is a little strange. Forget Roon, forget analog in (who’s using it?), and even ask yourself you’re going to use analog out. I would guess that for the majority of WiiM Mini customers it’s...
  14. N

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

The noise is decreased significantly but not eliminated if I detach the coax. Just by being plugged into the same electrical circuit the DX3 makes noise. Something about how it handles power, not the supply itself but the actual DX3 itself, is the problem. This is a system that has around 10...
  15. N

It would indeed be awfully Applesque of KEF if they didn’t provide a basic HT passthrough setting via the app. We’re really just talking about the option of setting a volume lock on one of the inputs here. It’s all down to software at that point and the sort of thing they could implement if they...
Top Bottom