Recent content by norcalscott

1. norcalscott

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

I believe the point is that they compare favorably to these more expensive speakers, no?
  2. norcalscott

New Tidal prices

I saw on the Tidal subreddit today that Tidal themselves posted that they have a new beta for iOS and Android (not sure about Windows/Mac) that changed the home screen - you have to sign up for the beta in settings and also select "try new Home Screen" - this is MUCH improved over the former...
  3. norcalscott

Recommendation for Tidal connect streamer with HDMI output

I never tried HDMI output with this setup when I had it, but a RasPi running Volumio may function just the way you need. The downside is that you need to pay the Volumio subscription to get Tidal Connect (as far as I am aware) and that may not be worth it to you. (I used to pay for it but...
  4. norcalscott

Plexamp Headless

Thanks for this - I may re-image my RPi4 that was being used for Volumio to do this instead. I have also been running Plex for many years and have the lifetime pass. Plexamp on both my Android phone and my iPad is fantastic.
  5. norcalscott

FiiO CP13 Portable Compact Audio Cassette Player Available for Pre-order (if you're quick)

I'd never heard about those players - it was a good read. Funniest part about it was that it worked well in luxury cars with good suspension, not so well in the lower end models of cars.
  6. norcalscott

FiiO CP13 Portable Compact Audio Cassette Player Available for Pre-order (if you're quick)

I think it was more about portability than anything else. I put an aftermarket radio with cassette player in my first car and had two geeky looking briefcases full of cassettes - probably 50 in total with me and played the hell out of those. Many of my cassettes were from Columbia Record (and...
  7. norcalscott

What streaming service do you use?

I have been a subscriber to Tidal for a long time, and generally listen to it either through PlexAmp (with my self-hosted Plex server connected to Tidal, which works really well), or through USB Audio Player Pro, which seems to be more stable than the Tidal Android app. I have to say though...
  8. norcalscott

Harman acquires Roon

Lot of glad handing and overbaked optimism in the comments for this posting. I suspect that not much will change right away, but eventually a lot will change, and based on my experiences with acquisitions like this, probably not for the good.
  9. norcalscott

VINCI Headphone Review

People really do back some weird stuff on Kickstarter and Indiegogo…
  10. norcalscott

Erin's Top 5 Speakers regardless of price (June 2023)

Thank you - it is pretty nice acoustically, although I have had to add some deadening items to prevent echos and some minor room correction. The Lintons like more toe-in than other speakers I’ve had but the overall tonality, especially with female voices is excellent and the soundstage even in...
  11. norcalscott

Erin's Top 5 Speakers regardless of price (June 2023)

They also look and sound pretty good, even in a weird room like this one. Not to mention a fairly high wife acceptance factor...
  12. norcalscott

UAPP and Qobuz offline

I use Tidal, rather than Qobuz with UAPP but when you plug the DAC into the phone, you should get a prompt to give access to UAPP and when you do that the internal Android audio system should be bypassed and you will get the full resolution of the playback - you should be able to see this in the...
  13. norcalscott

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

I'll agree about reliability, but in this use case, at this price, I suspect these caps will last through the usable life expectancy (sadly, we live in a disposable world). I suspect that in order to meet the price point, SMSL had to cut costs in ways that would not impact performance. As an...
  14. norcalscott

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Lelon are largely considered mid-range, and should be sufficient at this price level. Are you implying that this DAC would perform better if they had used "top-tier" caps?
  15. norcalscott

Winamp update released after 4 years ...

Looks like it requires registration to try it, and I am hesitant (or maybe too lazy) to provide them with my email address just to try it out. Also looks to be more of an on-line type player than a locally installed player like it used to be? I think I'll stick with Foobar - some time ago I...
Top Bottom