Recent content by nimar

1. nimar

Music Production Podcast

Found this new music production podcast "Process Of Production", not the most SEO friendly name so link below. https://anchor.fm/process-of-production TLDR; Two guys who have worked as musicians and now producers interviewing other producers they know/admire. I'm a strong believer in...
  2. nimar

Audio foolery 2.0 - The rise and fall of objectivism

Ignore is a great feature on ASR.
  3. nimar

Don't have strong feelings about Chord one way or another, but just because people spend a lot of money on a HiFi product, that doesn't mean it does anything. See audio cables, power cables, power conditioning, magic rocks, etc etc etc.
  4. nimar

Yeah, that was the category of "vaguely interesting" I had in mind.
  5. nimar

For sure, you want a bit of headroom as we can safely assume no one is listening at max output. (which begs the question as to why measurements are taken at that level, a standard needs to be set but it could be 1/2 of max which is somewhat more likely, but that's another discussion). Which is...
  6. nimar

Thinking some more on this, and this madness for numbers is even reflected in how different companies design their products atheistically. Both products can playback 32/768khz PCM files. One of them chooses to print this on the front, like this is actually relevant. Even the digital screen in...
  7. nimar

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

I swapped the A/D90 stack for an RME. While I wouldn't go so far as say Topping is crap, or that I could hear a noticeable difference. The RME is in another league as far as excellent design / UX and the kicker is that it was cheaper than the Topping stack. And the experience has definitely...
  8. nimar

The New King?

That's exactly the point I am trying to make in another thread Once we get past audible transparency, who cares what the SINAD is? Anything over 100 is over engineering for the sake of a glorified number. And at what cost?
  9. nimar

Pics of mega-expensive equipment in horrible rooms

The building itself has some nice sound panels (on the outside).
  10. nimar

I should have never ventured down the car analogy road, am not a gear head. That's absolutely not what I am discussing here, technical measurements are fantastic and entirely necessary, but only up to a point. Here's the problem with the oft used sports car comparison. Sports cars actually...
  11. nimar

You're right, I've got my "monies" worth as far as a conversation on ASR. But I disagree that the car analogy falls apart or that The Topping stack (which can only be compared like for like with the RME dac as its a DAC + Headphone amp is ~25% more expensive than the RME. I'm not griping...
  12. nimar

Tried to think of a way of expressing this idea in a way that couldn't be interpreted in the wrong way but not sure I've done it. Just know I don't mean anything negative by it. Is it possible you've just never experienced well designed Hifi products? So you don't know what you are missing...
  13. nimar

WTB : RME ADI 2 PRO FS R

https://www.rme-shop.com/acatalog/RME---ADI2-PRO-FS-R-BE---with-Remote-NEW-3625.html#SID=63 Just bought an ADI FS 2 from here with international shipping it was cheaper than anywhere else I could find.
  14. nimar

Well, I was never in it to just "try" stuff so not exactly "fun", and ended up close to a grand (CAD) worse off after selling the stuff. The silver lining is that because the RME DAC is cheaper than the Topping stack I ended up roughly even. Seems like an ironic statement but I got RME quality...
  15. nimar

I agree they are separate, yet they are very much related. Really I didn't have any such requirements before purchasing. I naively assumed that in the last nine years since my original DAC was built, basic features were a given because they were solved problem. It was only after purchasing...
Top Bottom