Recent content by NightFlight

1. NightFlight

Speakers for big room 500 sq. ft. Approx. $2500

Interested in this thread for the DFR52 reference. My space is ~250sqft I've been swapping sets a lot over the last couple years. The Magnepan LRS are a bit unwieldy and simply too expensive to cleanly power up to 85db, even at my 8.5ft listening distance. The speakers that stayed the longest...
  2. NightFlight

Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Review (bookshelf speaker)

I have a new pair DFR52 coming in the mail! They'll be here in a couple days <happy dance>. I'm very excited!
  3. NightFlight

Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Review (bookshelf speaker)

Well, that was a fun read. I was re-considering the UBR52 or the UFR52. I say re-considering since I did own the UBR62 briefly auditioned against the DBR62. Unfortunately for the UBR62 I found distortion in the mid-range driver on some recordings when so pushed to high levels. At first I...
  4. NightFlight

CSS Audio Criton 1TD-X Build Log

https://tenor.com/baAv6.gif Also, given your handle, I though you would have gone for the CSS Criton 2TD MTM Kit
  5. NightFlight

Zu Audio - What is Going On?

Sheesh. I may have fallen onto the hype train. I have a pair of Zu DW MK II on their way here. They will be shooting out against a pair of Maggie LRS/Anthem Amp2 SE and/or pair of ELAC DBR-62. Fortunately there's a 60 day shipping paid return policy. I built a diyaudio Aleph J clone and I love...
  6. NightFlight

ELAC UBR62 Speaker Review

No you can't. But I also don't put a terrible amount of stock in A/B instant switching. In some cases (like cables), I've found that you have to listen to them and get comfortable - say over a few days or weeks and then swap them out. The difference can be jarring. Your brain will adjust...
  7. NightFlight

Not all things must be audible or measurable to cumulatively add up into audibility. This might be hearsay on this forum, but I don't think measurements are the last word, nor does it capture subjective experience. I do believe measurements keep us sane and on track, but beyond that its all...
  8. NightFlight

Did you get anywhere with this? I've thought about replacing the resistors with mills to start. Lot of room to strap on some 1% bypass caps. I'm definitely a fan of the MiFlex KPCU series. Youtube audio tests say I don't hear much above 16khz, so I'm not overly concerned about 16-18khz. I can...
  9. NightFlight

Living with the DBR62 and UBR62 right now. Regarding the sweet spot of the UBR62's... it's not as wide as you'd think. There is an ultra linear sweet spot within it. I triangulated the toe-in using a laser measure, starting just against outside my shoulders. From the listening position I lean...
  10. NightFlight

Review and Measurements of Schiit Aegir PWR Amplifier

Built a FirstWatt clone (single transformer). Aegir got the boot. Its no contest between the two. I didn't go back to the Aegir to sanity-check until a month later.
  11. NightFlight

Should I upgrade my Emotiva XDA-2 (how much better are modern DAC's)

I know this is reviving an old thread, but I'd like to point out that you can drop in op-amps into the XDA-2 as they are socketed. The stock op amps are ... nothing special and really not that great. Op-amp rolling is totally a thing and can highlight either detail or musicality depending on...
  12. NightFlight

Transparency in sound explanation?

I always thought that when the term transparency is applied to speakers, it means the equipment chain and speakers become transparent - in the sense the soundstage not hanging around the speakers. Alternately, perfectly transparent speakers would not impart any sound or constraint of their own...
  13. NightFlight

It was quite a journey for me to build a system that I feel is truly great.

Interesting! I'm about a year in. My room is 3.0Wx6.6Lx2.6H meters. My ELAC DBR-62 sit 63cm from side and 1m from rear measured on center. Listening point is also 2.5m from speaker face to the ear. One sub in the right front corner. DIY safe 'n Sound 2x4'x3" broad absorbers are so far just...
  14. NightFlight

Teardown of the Emotiva DC-1 DAC

I was taking the long path to explain we need all the tools. But I think time allows you to learn what your hearing not just accumulate bias. But by that same token, I don't discount the possibility of bias. You can't out think the machine your using to think with.
  15. NightFlight

Teardown of the Emotiva DC-1 DAC

I'm here because I'm in the middle acquiring one from the usaudiomart. Online subjective reviews had been favorable against my XDA-2. However, I'm disappointed to learn the opamps on the DC-1 are not socketed like the XDA-2. The boutique TI opamps (forget the model) I have gone back and forth...
Top Bottom