Recent content by nick779

1. N

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Owner's Thread

It might be worth trying to stuff some foam into the port to attenuate the bass response.
  2. N

Inside Yamaha amps

That's what I was thinking too. I can always add a streaming receiver if something comes out, otherwise I just use an old iPhone 6S and Spotify connect/Sirius.
  3. N

Inside Yamaha amps

Well, ended up with a A-S701. I'll never use the CD direct function, but I decided on going for the A-S701 even though it's overkill for my use. I figure it has the best amplifier section(based on teardowns) of the Yamaha consumer line and I was already mostly happy with the sound of the...
  4. N

Inside Yamaha amps

A4L actually has new A-S501s right now. I might just go that route. Not really looking for a refurb at this time.
  5. N

Inside Yamaha amps

Does anyone know if the transformer and primary capacitor bank are the same between the A-S501 and A-S701? I'm primarily looking at the A-S501 that I have on backorder, but they keep pushing back the date. The vendor offered a A-S701 for $719 new, but I don't even own a CD player to take...
  6. N

That kind of soundstage detail is probably above my paygrade. Personally speaking I don't really trust the SMSL amps for long term use over a full size integrated amp either. I did try a few sets of speakers, but just tried to pick the best amp in my opinion for my budget. I did not audition...
  7. N

Good to know on the R200s as they were on my short list of "stretch" budget picks. I still like the extra sparkle the Q150s had in the treble, but the Wharfedales just have so much "meat" in the mids. They're so nice to listen to long term too. I'll probably try some light polishing compound...
  8. N

Got a second set on Saturday. Still has some marks, but they aren't nearly as bad and the tweeters are at least centered. I reached out to Crutchfield to ask if they could have the warehouse check a few more before shipping to me. They went through 5 more pairs and all of them had those marks...
  9. N

They're sending me a new one today. I just hope I don't get the angry phone call for returns. I've heard that people who make too many returns can get blacklisted. I'm at 4 with this exchange, speaking to an advisor each time for advice/recommendations. They've all said it's no problem, so...
  10. N

Crutchfield as new. They looked packaged new, but I wonder if maybe they're a refurb.
  11. N

I don't mind the treble because it isn't fatiguing at all. The Kefs occasionally would start to bother me if I had them going in the background for 5-7 hours even at lower volumes. Did you go through a retailer for the exchange or Wharfedale direct? I'm not sure what to do, I thought I was ok...
  12. N

Got them yesterday. There's no comparison to the 12.1. So much more body and fullness to music now. Low end is no joke either. They don't have that high end "sparkle" but they're fantastic all arounders for the price. Frankly based on the price, I'm not so sure where the 12.1 would fit in. 12.0...
  13. N

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speaker Review

What are you using to equalize them? I've been meaning to get into some sort of eq and room correction.
  14. N

Lurking for a while, first 2.0 stereo setup advice

To be fair, had by budget been a little higher the Polk R200s have had really great reviews as of late and I was considering them. The old generation of S series speakers were received well and were common budget picks, but these cash grab ES models seem to have no improvement over the S. That...
  15. N

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speaker Review

IMO the Wharfedale 12.1 is much better rounded and cleaner than the Elacs, but it suffers substantially with bass. It can do bass, just don't get your expectations too high from a 5" driver. The Kef Q150 is also worth a look. I'm currently testing them vs the 12.1s and they're both very good...
Top Bottom