Recent content by nhunt

1. N

Should we (I) get into speaker testing & measurement

In case you end up having to do this again, shoulder dollies are amazing! My wife and I got 2 130lbs subs up the stairs pretty easily with those (cringing a little as I write that..).
  2. N

Again, did Amir ever say he wouldn't measure active speakers? What do active speakers have to do with this topic at all?
  3. N

Did Amir say he wouldn’t measure active speakers? I don’t get what the fuss is about here. Maybe it should carry on in a different Active vs Passives thread (with some evidence based discussion :))
  4. N

Well, I think Amir mentioned in this thread that there is a company in the US who will do measurements as a service. I think it was a 1000 dollars plus some more service charges per unit or something along those lines.
  5. N

AKG K371 Impressions

@Hrodulf any chance these will get added to Sonarworks soon?
  6. N

Why do we purchase loudspeakers based off of research done at NRC/Harman without conducting unsighted listening tests for ourselves?

I'm interested in this upcoming presentation that might further classify ice cream flavors: I'm not sure if this is new research or a recap of their findings on demographics from earlier studies. Edit: Looks like it recaps this study from March: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=20289
  7. N

Theory: If I EQ headphones to Harman AE/OE curve, what other attributes should I look for?

Digging this up. I got to play with (2!) Focal Clears this weekend again and after EQing them to oratory1990’s settings, there is this laser like treble peak at ~11khz. I messed around with sweeps, tone generator, and Hotel California to get a sense of where it was at (with a FR plug-in) and...
  8. N

EQ, Is too much of a good thing bad?

Has there ever been a double blind test or double blind choice experiment regarding too much EQ? The only thing I’m aware of is Olive’s paper on room correction preferences.
  9. N

Upgrade from a 58X?

If you are already EQing them to taste, I personally don’t see an obvious upgrade out there in the price you are looking at. The massdrop sennheisers are a great deal. They have good channel balance, not too many high-Q peaks, relatively easy to drive, low distortions, comfy, sturdy, and are...
  10. N

EQ, Is too much of a good thing bad?

A showdown of multiple room correction/algorithmic EQ systems with objective measurements would be pretty neat. I’m not aware of anything since Sean Olive’s paper.
  11. N

AKG K371 Impressions

Yeah, he calls out in his faq that he never removes that notch at 9-10khz, so you are right that his settings shouldn’t affect the theoretical 10khz notch effect.
  12. N

AKG K371 Impressions

From the 2018 paper, it looks like it includes the range between 50hz and 10khz.
  13. N

AKG K371 Impressions

According to this, https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/soundstage, soundstage and imaging can depend on a 10khz notch that I don’t think is accounted for in the Harman curve. There is a giant notch in the hd800s and Hifiman Edition X for example. When I get home I’ll play...
  14. N

Why is audio objectivism so frequently focused on all the wrong things?

Shower thought: “lossless” seems like a powerful term that united the objectivists and subjectivists under a common goal. Don Draper: “nobody wants to lose something!”
Top Bottom