Recent content by Newk Yuler

1. Newk Yuler

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

This company makes some amazing looking showy speakers but I'd expect to find them only in one of Jeff Bezos', Elon Musk's, or Richard Branson's homes. Also because they cost like that, too. https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/loudspeakers IMO these look extravagant, unusual, and a bit pretentious...
  2. Newk Yuler

Understanding Audio Dynamic Range / SNR (Part 1)

The thing is I see what's going on when Paul goes out of his way to point out every AP he passes in the tour video. To the general audience it's a statement of using fine analyzers but to a sceptical ASR regular it can look like a subtle comment about something directed here. Paul is a showman...
  3. Newk Yuler

Understanding Audio Dynamic Range / SNR (Part 1)

It's interesting that Paul McGowan is touting a new hour long tour video of his facility that he repeatedly casually points to the Audio Precision analyzers at various work stations. I find it humorous that Amir's use of an APx555 has made some audio manufacturers decide to buy them so they can...
  4. Newk Yuler

Opinion? RPi4 with USB DACs

One way the Pi4 is better than the Pi3 is the USB and Ethernet are now on separate buses. That was a problem for the Pi3 that created issues when using USB DACs. One popular solution was to use a SPDIF hat to feed a DAC and an excellent example of that was the Allo DigiOne Signature that Amir...
  5. Newk Yuler

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

I use 3 of those bigger APC UPS with less costly stepped approximation sinewave circuits. They've been competent UPS for many years (just needing replacement batteries). I use similar APC UPS of various sizes on computers, television and sound systems without issues. (Except when the new...
  6. Newk Yuler

Announcing beta-test of PKHarmonic VST plugin

I was one of the people who said I would use this when you introduced Distort. Luckily I happened across your announcement in the What's New. I'm using PKHarmonic with Foobar 1.6.2. in a Windows 10 x64 i7 laptop serving a high fidelity sound system (Topping D90/A90 and Purifi amps). I realize...
  7. Newk Yuler

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

The easily interpreted deviation from preferred frequency response graph is wonky enough to justify a facepalm. I'm wondering if this sort of thing is going to be typical of headphone profiles based on the measurements in Amir's headphone tests so far. I have Hifiman Arya that's used much less...
  8. Newk Yuler

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

Good god, man. Are all iconic headphones going to have disappointing measurements like this? I've been all about seeking the Clear as a second set of headphones for months up until a few minutes ago. Now I'm thinking I'll just stick with speakers.
  9. Newk Yuler

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

This is late in the discussion after only one day but I have to briefly mention that I appreciate you, Amir for reminding me of how much I appreciate Cliff Martinez. I did an ASR search to see how many times his name has been mentioned and yours a couple of years ago is the only one. I have a...
  10. Newk Yuler

How shall I resolve my ambiguity towards my Purifi amp?

That's how I went at it. I have a Topping D90/A90 combo connected by balanced jumpers and a Conrad Johnson tube line stage preamp in the RCA loop between them, and balanced cables to Audiophonics Purifi amps. I don't use the CJ a lot but it's there to easily color it by flipping of a couple...
  11. Newk Yuler

Cheap alternatives to speaker stands?

Milk crates work but my favorite cheap speaker stands are the $25 wood Mainstays 29" bar stools at Walmart. If they're too tall you can easily saw the legs shorter. I'm using them in two systems. I use the soft rubbery shelf/drawer liner also available at Walmart to put between the speakers...
  12. Newk Yuler

¿what is your speaker, amplifier and dac configuration?

Currently my ambient rig consists of a Topping D90/A90 combo by balanced cables with a Conrad Johnson Classic 2 SE line stage preamp between them in the RCA loop to add gobs of evil 2nd order harmonic distortion when I'm feeling nasty, Audiophonics stereo Purifi amp, Infinity RS 1.5 (1980). The...
  13. Newk Yuler

The Zipf Mystery

Haha! Schrodinger's cat or anything in a mysterious package that could be anything until someone opens it. Gravity. The super weird ways electrons behave. The sound a tree makes or doesn't make falling when there is nothing to hear it. It's all because of the way the existential simulation...
  14. Newk Yuler

March Audio P452 Purifi Based Stereo Power Amplifier

OPA1612 in the input buffers the same as the reference (or evaluation) design? Also, damn if you couldn't have released the stereo Purifi amp a couple of weeks ago so I could have considered it before dropping the funds on a couple of similar French Audiophonics Purifi amps. Which are a little...
  15. Newk Yuler

Is distortion in electronics meaningful ?

Word, Pozz. I have some of those albums and I'll look at some of them I don't. Thank you! It seems we've gracelessly derailed the thread. :( For the thread topic. I just acquired a Topping D90 and A90 to have an extraordinarily high value and nearly reference grade low noise and distortion...
Top Bottom