Recent content by NewbieOne

1. N

Topping D10 or khadas tone board, which to choose?

And let's say you just want to plug and forget. Like, keep your internal soundcard for multispeaker configs but use Khadas the same way you'd use a USB dongle, except permanent. Would K. win in this scenario?
  2. N

Decision paralysis: Topping D50 or KHADAS TONE BOARD

Necro this because I'm faced with a similar choice. I already have a semi-decent budget amp in my K5 non-pro, but I'm thinking about replacing my SoundBlaster Z with preferably an external DAC or at least a soundcard with good EMI shielding. Khadas looks like it could be an affordable headphone...
  3. N

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Should I be getting this or Sound Blaster AE-9 for the same price ($200-ish in Europe)? (Already have K5 as a dedicated amp but no DAC outside of internal soundcards.)
  4. N

No standalone DAC + Headphone amp?

It's convenient. Less weight, less clutter, less hassle. Can be connected to a number of sources alternatively, so you don't have to buy separate stacks for separate sources. For example one dongle is more financially and logistically efficient than two internal soundcards in two computers that...
  5. N

What DAC to pair with K5 (non-pro), or just use the internal soundcard?

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC's sound output somewhat. For years I've been using a succession of budget soundcards (Live 5.1 => Audigy something => x-Fi Titanium) cinched to a JVC MX-J500 stereo that drinks and votes by now. So I still have the x-Fi Titanium PCIE (non-HD) I bought years...
  6. N

Sennheiser Launches HD 400 Pro Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

I wish they came up with some kind of dynamic stage so that it feels properly claustrophobic when you're in a dungeon cell, constrained when in a small room, larger when in something like a castle hall and totally open when outdoor, with relatively narrow but endlessly long sewers somewhere in...
  7. N

What to drive 400SEs and Sundaras with in order to open that stage?

As per title. Obviously just about any potato will provide enough volume (like listening to the 400SEs straight from a phone or laptop), but I'm talking about the Hifiman planars reaching their true potential and transforming from underamped ugly ducklings into whatever they were meant to be...
  8. N

No standalone DAC + Headphone amp?

I've just bought a no-DAC amp with the intention of using my current, past or next soundcard as the DAC. This is for gaming reasons mostly.
  9. N

Sennheiser Launches HD 400 Pro Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

Wonder how it fares in gaming and if it's going to take EQ well, which could be nice for gamers, as in OTT treble for steps and shots in competitive vs more bass for games with explosions vs a consumer V for fun or mids for speech, etc. Having a neutral but EQ-able set of cans isn't bad for...
  10. N

What headphone(s) do you own ?

I'm what my name suggests, so I'm only just getting into this. I do have one or two budget headphones, but my first real one, which happens to be the Tygr 300R, is on its way. I'm eyeballing the Sundaras and HE400SEs at this time and have notifications set on a popular auction site for used AKGs...
Top Bottom