Recent content by Netspirit

1. N

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

What is the expected the price for the stereo unit?
  2. N

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Looks like Topping cannot recommend any particular power supply for D50: "Sorry yet we do not have a recommended power supply. If you have a good power supply, you can recommend to us, and we will recommend to other user who in need" Anyone got ideas? This linear PSU has already been mentioned...
  3. N

In my case, I assume it was my speakers, but I don't know. I set DC-1 to 48kHz, and the noise disappeared. From the article: "Assuming your system is actually capable of full 96kHz playback, the above files should be completely silent with no audible noises, tones, whistles, clicks, or other...
  4. N

This (great, IMHO) article claims that high sample rates and ultrasonic frequencies are actually detrimental to the audible sound quality: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html Basically, playing ultrasonic frequencies through some speakers results in intermodulation...
  5. N

D50 supports 7 filter modes (selectable when you press the power button): 1. Apodizing fast rolloff 2. Minimum phase slow rolloff 3. Minimum phase fast rolloff 4. Linear phase slow rolloff 5. Linear phase fast rolloff 6. Brick wall 7. Corrected minimum phase fast rolloff Which filter would be...
  6. N

I wonder if disabling the ground is a good idea. Can non-grounded signals damage the DAC? Here's how Topping's customer support replied to my question if I should use a data-only (power pin blocked) USB cable with D50: "External power should connect to D50's DC jack, D50's USB is only for data...
  7. N

I have received my D50 from AliExpress ("Hi-Fi College Store") today - it's a legitimate seller. In the box, apart from the sexy D50 there were two cables: a normal USB A to USB B one, and a USB A to a cylindrical power connector (5V DC). I connected the former to my USB source (laptop's...
  8. N

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

I don't want to ask you for any extra work unless you think there is a good chance it can reveal something audible - if not, please don't bother. I am mainly concerned about that -20db to -40db anomaly that both DX7s and especially D50 exhibited in your tests. Since D10 has an older DAC chip, if...
  9. N

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Amir, thanks a lot. D10 looks decent. Are intermodulation distortion tests applicable to it - wondering why you skipped those?
  10. N

Topping D10 - Info & Where To Buy

Also waiting. Wondering if it's similar to the old DX7.
  11. N

Amir, did Topping respond to you on the SMPTE intermodulation distortion issue? Do they know how to fix it - and if so, do they plan to?
  12. N

Amir's TODO thread

Amir, thanks a lot for your reviews! In addition to Topping DACs like D10 it would be interesting to see how Emotiva DC-2 fares (rumored to be shipping in late March, based on either AKM AK4490 or the new AK4497) and whether UDA9038PRO from HiFiMe is going to be any good, considering it's $250...
Top Bottom