Recent content by navin

1. N

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated. Features? All DACs do is convert Digital to Analog. Is there something else? I didn't investigate any features on my D70s. I connected my WiiM Pro Plus to the Coax SPDIF input on the DAC and then connected the RCA analog inputs to my Amplifier. My...
  2. N

Ok, I am a newbie, so please be kind. Are you saying that the $200 SMSL DL200 is closer in sound to the $10,000 Weiss DAC501 than the D70s, D70 Octo, or D400EX?
  3. N

The AVM amplifier has a "trick" that most other amplifiers do not have. I can set each of the 5 inputs to variable and fixed. Hence, I can use the fixed inputs so that an AVR drives them and can set the sensitivity for each fixed input. I can also set EQ (Bass and Treble controls) for each...
  4. N

What about the SU-9 Pro? It has the 9039 as well.
  5. N

The 9039Q2M version? This one? https://www.amazon.com/ES9039Q2M-Headphone-Amplifier-Balanced-Dualmode/dp/B0CCY5J2GQ
  6. N

Which would be the more obvious upgrade? I'd prefer to spend as little as needed and the Octo DAC at $700 is much cheaper than the D400EX (at $1100). Or I could wait for more options.
  7. N

What do you recommend we do to fix this? I am not taking the DAC apart and digging around the chips. I just want to enjoy my music. Thanks. Is there a DAC in your mind that fits the bill? The SMSL D400EX with AK4191 + dual AK4499EX or the Topping D70 Octo 8-chip DAC? or some R-2R DAC?
  8. N

Are you saying that the D70s power supply needs to be changed? Thanks. That's all I needed. I got the D70s because it fit my budget and was available at that time.
  9. N

To determine if a DAC upgrade would offer any audible change.
  10. N

Quick newbie question. Would there be a noticeable sonic if the XMOS was upgraded to a 316 and the output opamp was upgraded to 1656? If it helps, my current audio chain is WiiM Pro Plus (with Topping P50 power supply) to D70s to AVM EVOLUTION A5.2. The Integrated feeds the midrange and...
  11. N

The D70s is now almost 3 years old. Newer chip DACs based on the 4499EX/EQ and AK4191 are now available. Sometimes, I wonder if these new DACs do anything that the D70s can't.
  12. N

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

My view: 1. The introduction of the CD only gave us a new set of problems to be solved. The first Magnavox / Philips and Sony CD players weren't great; not even as good as a $300 turntable from the era. CD players did get better over time. 2. I am hard-pressed to believe that the position of an...
  13. N

As a hobbyist, I work solo. I can't change the wires and not be aware of the change, can I? I might be biased, but I have no one to sell to but me, so I try to be as unbiased as I can be. I am not bound by the equipment cost (by that, I mean I do not believe that just because I bought it, it...
  14. N

Not really but I am a cynic by nature. I also enjoy experimenting and tinkering (as a hobby I design and build my own amplifiers, loudspeakers, and guitar pedals for example). I try things and listen. Sometimes I am surprised by what I hear, often times I am not. I did not expect a change in...
  15. N

General home streaming recommendations 2023

I built 2 streamers each using an Allo USB Signature along with a Pi2AES HAT (so that I could have SPDIF and I2S outputs) as a learning experience. One had Volumio and the other had Max2Play. They are now collecting dust (the aluminium boxes I built for them came out nicer than I expected).
Top Bottom