Recent content by Nathan_A

1. N

Need some help picking a new Audio Interface!

It's not on your list, but I've been absolutely loving my Tascam Model 12. It's wonderful to have a pile of physical analog controls to my DAW setup... plus it comes with a mixer built-in I'm told.
  2. N

Soundcraft Notepad 5 Audio Interface Review

I nearly bought a Soundcraft Signature 12 mixer a year or so ago, but ended up with a Tascam Model 12 instead. I've often wondered how it shapes up in terms of measurements since it has a somewhat unique architecture compared to its peers. I'm kind of surprised how little concrete data there is...
  3. N

Sony ES DA3300 & Pioneer SC-1522k Receivers

Prices seem to vary between $50 and $300 depending on condition + accessories. With the Sonys running about 1/3 to 1/2 the sale prices of the Pioneers. My main goal is to get them to somewhere that they'll be used and not trashed more than it is to extract money out of them, FWIW.
  4. N

The setup has changed slightly. It's now (top to bottom): Quadra 610 (to run AU/X), NeXTstation Turbo, Indigo2 IMPACT10000, Ultra 2 Elite3D, HP Visualize C240, UMAX J700 (w/ dual CPUs to run BeOS). The rest are: SE/30, ColorClassic II, eMac 1.42, Quadra 840AV, PowerTower Pro 250 (fastest Mac...
  5. N

Unfortunately, no extra systems and no extra friends in-need. I'm not married to the prices. I just pulled random numbers out of a not so random place. :) I'd be content to let them go for shipping + "any reasonable offer". They're literally doing nothing sitting in the closet in my office...
  6. N

Yep. I have a vintage computer hobby that's gotten a bit out of hand... ...(made a little museum in my home office) that results in a lot of empty oversized boxes accumulating in my garage and I have a FedEx account for easy shipping & discount rates.
  7. N

The Pioneer is very similar to one that @amirm tested forever ago. I think he tested the "Elite" counterpart of the same lineage of receivers.
  8. N

Howdy, What do you all do with stuff like this? I have both of these receivers from old iterations of my home stereo/theater setup. Both are in excellent condition, have all their original stuff, remotes, manuals, boxes, etc. They're not really "destination" items, so selling them on eBay or...
  9. N

Older RME interfaces vs. newer MOTU, Focusrite, etc. vs. USB mixer?

I ended up with a TASCAM Model 12. So far, so good. It works great in Linux with an appropriately configured ALSA/PulseAudio profile making sure all the channels are mapped in a sane way. No idea how it measures, but I absolutely vastly prefer having a physical interface immediately at my...
  10. N

Oh, I know. :) I opened up this can of miserable worms and time-sinks when I switched from Mac to Linux a few years back for work, and unfortunately I'm still in the same boat today. When I can, I'll switch back. Unfortunately, that day is not today. For the moment, I'm stuck. The the Yamaha...
  11. N

I take part of that back, it looks like there are tons of mixers with build-in digital audio interfaces. Some really high-end ones too. FireWire, USB, etc. So, I guess the question is somewhat... who's the RME of the mixer + DAI game in terms of measurements & sound quality? TASCAM?
  12. N

Unfortunately, I don't have much choice in terms of the OS. The rest of my work strongly depends on Linux. So, I want to try to get it working as best I can. It does look like some FireWire audio device support made it into the Linux kernel some time back for certain interface ICs. The old-ish...
  13. N

I'm happy to get new mics. I really don't like this Yeti device much. I get the appeal, but I'd rather have more flexibility. The headset is a 3.5mm plug. Getting adapters or a different headset are also fine. I wanna stay somewhere in the ballpark of ~$500 or so. Everything is currently...
  14. N

Howdy, I need to consolidate things on my desk and improve the UX of fiddling with all my random audio sources and sinks. Since the pandemic began I've been working from home and have started doing more audio related activities: * Endless video calls * Recording podcasts * Listening to music *...
  15. N

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

A little piece of tinted plastic film cut to size works great to tone down the display and make it fade into the background on your desk.
Top Bottom