Recent content by Musty

1. M

Music Streaming - Amazon Firestick Vs HEOS - Quality Differences?

My impression of Amazon Music through a (non-HD) Firestick is the audio is pretty bad. Whether that's down to the stick, the codec, the amp or my ears is moot. The stick is attached to an AVR, I hate the way the information about the track displays on the TV so that might have an adverse affect...
  2. M

Who is doing Linux / DSP / multi-amplification (multi channel) ?

With all the ADC/DAC/i2c functionality one would think that esp32 should be good for the job but I can't find any implementation using it. https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-reference/peripherals/i2s.html#functional-overview
  3. M

Who is doing Linux / DSP / multi-amplification (multi channel) ?

No idea if this is close to what you wanted. I guess it's a rip-off of the mini DSP product rather than the original. I wondered if there was a usb-i2s bridge it would work with. https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32963391208.html
  4. M

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Wasn't "loudness wars" started by the Sony Walkman? People wanted music mostly the same level because they were listening to it outside, through poor quality headphones/ear plugs. They couldn't hear the quiet bits without deafening themselves with the loud bits.
  5. M

Looks like Class D is the only option for ultra clean, high power amplification

Owned various Yamaha products over the years, my current AV is Yamaha, never considered them particularly nice to look at though. I prefer the minimalist approach.
  6. M

Macro photos of phono styli

Dust n the tracks was always said to be the biggest cause of damage to vinyl as I recall.
  7. M

Macro photos of phono styli

This takes me back nearly 40 years. Taking stylus to dealer, him putting it under a microscope, telling me it was fine and still managing to sell me a cartridge and a new stylus to go with it, as an upgrade. Was better though, a lot less noisy. I bought a Phillips CD650 a short while afterwards...
  8. M

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Even more bizarre is many of the people buying vinyl listen to the digital version anyway. As an early adopter of cd I can't say I want to go back to surface noise, pops & crackles and I had a pretty expensive, considered good, record deck. I think some of the fashion for vinyl is down to the...
  9. M

Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR to RCA Converter Review

Powered USB hub? Still not a choice I'd make, even if it works.
  10. M

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

Is this a power issue? Rpi can lose power to WiFi if connected device drains power somehow. Also could possibly be just a physical issue of the DAC blocking the WiFi signal? I use a Rpi attached to the back of a monitor and sometimes has issues with WiFi connection if monitor is turned to wrong...
  11. M

I do have quite a few multichannel files that don't get played currently. Purchased as high quality downloads that came with both 24-bit stereo and multichannel files. The latter don't get played because no rear speakers in place. I do plan on getting rid of AV amp. Would need both amps and DAC...
  12. M

I've just been trying to understand whether the "channels" on a DAC were stereo or one per speaker when I realised I had a reply to my post. Not being certain of the answer makes a seemingly easy response kind of difficult. The best answer I can give, is right now I'd need two stereo inputs for...
  13. M

Where I am: Raspberry Pi 2Gb acting as a 'NAS' & mpd server, which I can control with several devices or stream from if I choose. This connected, bitstream through HDMI, to an old AVR: Yamaha RX-V671. Speakers: ancient pair of Kef iq7 (bi amplified with two channels of the AVR) and a not great...
  14. M

Multichannel DAC lobby!

I'm in the UK but I wouldn't be averse to sorting something out along those lines if there was an interest. I suppose one of the things I was hoping for was to find out if there was already some experience of these kind of products, if there was an opinion on whether such an endeavour was likely...
  15. M

Multichannel DAC lobby!

Possibly, but I'm a wuss.
Top Bottom