Recent content by muskrat

1. M

A Call For Humor!

75 in Colorado
  2. M

Help me make sense of this passive crossover

The 2nd cap in a 3rd order high pass is usually larger than these, hence 20db instead of 18. Why? Anybody's guess.
  3. M

Help me understand "CD rot"

I have a Famous Blue Raincoat 20th anniversary edition that has extra tracks. Those extra tracks had terrible sibilance, super annoying. After a couple years I played it again, planning to stop it when it came to those tracks. Amazingly they sounded excellent. The difference? I'm using a DVD...
  4. M

how do in wall speakers deal with inconsistent 'cabinet' volume?

The space inside a 2x4 wall is 2.7 cubic feet. This is for a standard wall. An exterior wall might be 2x6 so even larger. This is plenty of room for most 12" woofers and most in wall speakers are smaller, even subs. So woofers should be chosen to operate in free air, no back pressure from the...
  5. M

Sony SS-CS5 3-way Speaker Review

I had a 2 or 3 generation older pair of Sony 3 ways. The mid had a 3.3uF cap, the tweet a 1.5. I have seen inside the model before this one. The mid and tweet were on one faceplate and bridged together. So one cap to a 1" driver and a .5" one. They could make a decent 2way at the same price...
  6. M

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

I listen to it. I bought 5 live Eagles albums last year. I am of the appropriate age group though. I'll keep on rocking and let the original poster enjoy his Windham Hill drek.
  7. M

What's your best, 'speaker cost to performance ratio', purchase?

I got pair of JPW with a 6" woofer for $35 at a thrift store. They had a high end look so I took a chance. There is very little on the web, almost nothing on this model. I took them apart. Very nice euro drivers,12db crossovers, solid cabinets. I use them with a Canton sub. Best speakers I've had.
  8. M

What's a realistic expectation for bass performance?

I had a wood frame house that drove me nuts. No low bass no matter what. I set up my satellites in my fiance's house house. It had a walk out basement with a concrete floor and 3 out of 4 walls mostly concrete. I could rattle the windows, in the front wall, with those 5" woofers. Maybe your...
  9. M

Where are the Chinese phono cartridges? I'm tired of snake oil and ridiculous pricing

AT says 300 hrs for an elliptical, twice that for a conical. Longer life for micro line stylus is because they retain their side profile as they wear until the tip reaches the bottom of the groove. This is not true for shibata stylus which, oddly, cost more for AT carts. The 300 hr life for...
  10. M

Using an inline high pass filter?

Their regular high pass filters are 12db per octave. They also sell an 18db@37hz which I have. There's not much in music below 37hz but movies are a different story. Many subs come with speaker level inputs. Many have a crossover for the mains too.
  11. M

Hardwood vs. MDF for a DXT-MON build.

If it has leaves it's a hardwood. Balsa is a hardwood. Basswood, woodcarver's favorite, also hardwood. Needles=softwood, you know hemlock, tamarack.
  12. M

ROLLS VP29 Review (phono stage)

The Music Hall Mini has the same board, even says rolls on it. It costs twice as much. Reviewer couldn't get rid of hum so he opened it up. Ground screw was grounded to the case which was grounded to the board by a screw that wasnt in contact with the pad as it was too small. Also soldering was...
  13. M

Uncoloured phono cartridges

Yes, m75ed generic stylus. Shure era4 arm resonance track. Grado dance was ATS13 conical at 3 grams, music.no idea why. Very dramatic.
  14. M

Uncoloured phono cartridges

I have, popped up 1/4 inch. I've seen the Grado dance too.
Top Bottom