Recent content by Mudjock

1. Mudjock

Hivi 3.1A DIY Speaker With Sehlin Mod Review

I guess my thought is that this is the back of the same tweeter. It would not have been difficult to make a rectangular, oval, or truncated faceplate instead of the big round one. Then the spacing between the mid and tweeter could have been kept small without needing to overlap the driver...
  2. Mudjock

7 ohms is fine for R1. I have a parts bin full of 6.8 ohm resistors, but for whatever reason, the closest thing Parts Express sell is 7 ohms. The difference is about 3%. @HighFutility In general, the list seems reasonable. I don't like the 20 ga. air core for the 1.2 mH inductor. The 20 ga...
  3. Mudjock

The Wavecor driver you link would give you about an extra 10 Hz of extension in that enclosure. The problem is that the standard woofer in the DIY-3.1A plays up to 1 kHz. The frequency response graph below indicates the Wavecor sub is not up to that task. The HiVi DIY-3.1A midrange can't play...
  4. Mudjock

I'd like to chime in a little on this concept. 1st of all, the woofers are 4 ohms. Two in parallel would create a 2 ohm load, which would be challenging at best for most amps. The more common approach in this case would be to connect the two woofers in series. In that scenario, you would be...
  5. Mudjock

Your help with my first speaker build

Not quite a 12" woofer (only a 10), but the Indium 7 might fit the bill...
  6. Mudjock

On Amir's initial post on page 1, he indicates the filter settings he chose to apply to Mod 4, which you can definitely implement with Minidsp. If you are starting with the factory crossover, that's a different story. You can, to some extent "beat it into shape", but you might have some issues...
  7. Mudjock

If the smaller 0.5 mH inductor has direct contact with the midrange speaker terminals, the inductors are properly positioned. I believe the bags were just mislabeled (0.6 mH was incorrectly identified as L3 and 0.5 mH was incorrectly identified as L2 on the bags themselves). The HiVi diagram...
  8. Mudjock

Great DIY speaker builds (for newbies) to learn about design?

My Sehlin Sound Solutions site might be of interest to some. One of my more complete walkthroughs is from a more recent effort that isn't posted on my site yet. Volare design thread
  9. Mudjock

CSS Criton 1TD-X Kit Speaker Review

In my experience, a sealed design with eq can have an advantage, but the speaker should be designed for high excursion and power handling to allow for that correction. Otherwise, the increased output around the tuning frequency may be preferred and can also be equalized as needed.
  10. Mudjock

CSS Criton 1TD-X Kit Speaker Review

But then, there's always the question about what use case the continuous 400W test corresponds to, other than intentional destruction...
  11. Mudjock

I agree with that suggestion. The DPR10-5.6 will work just fine.
  12. Mudjock

The crossover between the mid and tweeter is at 5.5 kHz, so there isn't a lot of sound going through the tweeter, but with any luck things will balance out in cabinet with the midrange taking its share of the high frequency info.
  13. Mudjock

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

I would be curious how the Citation 7.1 would measure up. It seems to have been designed to some very ambitious requirements.
  14. Mudjock

I've owned speakers by.....

When I was in high school, I had a couple of pairs of Acoustalinear speakers (house brand for Sound of Music audio stores in Minnesota which expanded a bit and became Best Buy). Later, I had... Infinity RS-5000 Radio Shack 8" 2 way design from their Building Speaker Systems book NHT Super Zero...
  15. Mudjock

I've had a few people report similar issues to yours with the DIY 3.1 kit. In at least one case, the issue was the circuit board and the solution was to direct wire the crossover components together rather than using the stock board. I agree with the previous post that if you have a normal dc...
Top Bottom